Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Delaware Reservoir Crappies

Raybo Guest

Default Delaware Reservoir Crappies

I usually fish Hoover Reservoir but since last fall the majority of the crappies have been small (mostly 7" or less - only an occassional fish in the 10 - 13" range). Would like to try Delaware Reservoir but I have never fished there. Anybody fishing Delaware and have some general advice on where to fish for crappies.

stilljustme Guest

Default Delaware Lake

Memorial Day they could be found in shallow water near brush but we've had a lot of water reciently.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Raybo]I usually fish Hoover Reservoir but since last fall the majority of the crappies have been small (mostly 7" or less - only an occassional fish in the 10 - 13" range).

Aint that the truth i was:D hunting crappies at hoover from late march until last of may. This year sucks at hoover. Worse year for me in about 10 years on size. 95% of the fish i taken this year all below 7inches with one slab every other trip. Hoover has fallen off thats for sure. I have trying to learn other lakes like yourself for more size. In 3-4 years if all the foreigners dont keep all the dinks should be great fishing there then.:D

Raybo Guest

Default Hoover Crappies

My suspection on Hoover Crappies was confirmed when I talked to a Fisheries Biologist with ODNR. Hoover has fluctuating year classes of strong (good spawning conditions and survival of young fish) and weak (poor spawning conditions and/or poor survival of young fish). Several years ago there must have been a few weak year classes but the last few years have been strong as you can tell by all the 4-7" fish you can catch almost everywhere there is structure. He said despite the large number of crappies now the growth rate is still good so in a few years crappie fishing should pick up ... in the mean time it will be tough to get decent crappies out of Hoover.

Post Thanks / Like

. in the mean time it will be tough to get decent crappies out of Hoover.[/QUOTE]

Yes sir it will. My suspections are right on then. I knew the dinks have returned. Seen this before at hoover back when i was a kid. Ton of small crappie with no size. Once my pops got a boat we started to go to o,shay instead of hoover to get bigger fish. Guess when i get my boat its back at those childhood spots looking for slabs 3-4 years hoover will be back on track.:rolleyes:
    Last edited by Crappie Wisdom; 06-08-2006 at 08:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

growing up around that area i never fished the reservior itself but you can get into one of the rivers that feed it around Norton. I thinkits the whetstone river if i remember right we used too fish it at night off where a old railroad bridge used too be. We'd drop a lantern down close toote water & fish staight down or float about 5 feet out.Used too catch nice slabs out of there. Been a long time since I did any fishing in Ohio. There are also some nice cats & walleye if you catch them right. Another good place I found was Kiser lake not sure of it's exact location but I know it's in the Urbana Belfountain area. Clark Lake around Springfield is also good. Just save some for me one of these days will make it back too fish the old stomping grounds.
    Good Fishing too ya