Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Way to Apply Glitters?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Way to Apply Glitters?

I have the fluid bed and powder coating down good but now I have bought several sizes and colors of glitters and I want to apply these to my heads as I'm painting them. Do I just shake them on while the paint is still hot? Also, what are some of the best ways to seal them after applying the glitter?
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

I have ordered a clear powder coat. That way you can mix any glitter color you want. This way you can apply the paint and glitter at the same time. Then when you bake them they will be sealed. Should have it by this weekend. Will post some pics.

THE BEST TIME TO FISH IS WHEN IT'S RAINING AND WHEN IT'S NOT RAINING

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Works well adding the glitter to clear. You will have to mix a little at a time and test to see when you have the mix the way you want.
    I like to add the glitter in with the color paint when making a custom mix.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Won't mixing the glitter in with a solid color also paint over the glitter? I like the idea of a clear/glitter mix. I'll have to look but I think I have a clear UV overcoat, will that work?
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Mixing glitter with powder paint will work. Since it's embedded in a colored paint, flake will not show up well unless near the surface.

Clear with glitter works much better as the flake is easily seen above the color of the powder paint. You can have the same amount of flakes in both methods, but the clear mix will show all the flake as opposed to the color mix showing only the near surface flake.

Sealing was mentioned in this thread but it's not necessary with powder paint. Curing seals.

Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried alot of different ways to get the glitter to show up. Like Stump said take clear powder paint and add a tiny bit of color to it and the glitter. Test it, if it needs more color add a tiny bit more ALWAYS making sure the glitter shows. OR

Powder coat your jig and then reheat and have the clear coat with the glitter as a second coat. I've been playing with the glitter problem for a while and one time it works and other times you can't even see it no matter how much clear you add. and some colors work better than others.

When you buy clear powder paint buy ALOT!!!!!!!!! I started out with only 2 ozs and that went quick, last time I bought a 1/2 lb. and wish I'd bought more!!!!!!!!!!!!

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wal-mart has glitter in salt shaker type containers in different colors. Heat jighead put in powder paint your color. While jighead is still hot we use a( propane torch and candle) to reheat as needed. just shake the color glitter you want on the wet powderpaint it cools pretty fast you will spill some glitter to much is better than not enough.I have a small jar of water and stick the jighead into the water if jighead is hot enough the jighead will sizzle then put on drying rack let dry for 8-10 hrs ready to fish. Hope this helps.
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought all my glitter shakers at Wal-Mart.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Were they the ones in clear jars in a big pack of about 16??? They had one like that here but the glitter was WAY to big for my liking. I like the finer stuff, and a little goes a long ways!!!!!!!!!

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

They have different sizes glitter small,med,large for different crafts and the top comes off you can reuse with your favorite glitter color!!!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast