Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: The minnow take over

Post Thanks / Like

Default The minnow take over

THE MINNOW TAKE OVER
    Robert Howell knew very well what he was looking for in a crappie lure when he started to design the Slab Bandit as an addition to the Crazy Angler Tackle product line of crappie lures in October 2010. It was a Slab Bandit that helped tournament angler Tracy Humber and his Partner win big fish at the Greenville, Miss. Crappie Masters event on Lake Washington with a 2.69 pound crappie. The success alone of the Slab Bandit can be seen in its twenty first place finishes across the nation, along with winning state and local level tournaments as well as on the Crappie Masters tournament trail. .
    After Howell perfected the design and started giving it to his pro-staff, both Howell and his staff started having results nearly all over the United States, and even into Canada. He soon realized the Slab Bandit’s potential as a bait you could use for long lining, slow trolling, and even power trolling.
    “It appears more natural than any other bait of all the species of forage for crappie. The crawfish, freshwater shrimp and small water parasites, all move their tail in an up and down motion. The Slab Bandit does not and none of the fry profile forage has their tail hanging, the Slab Bandit does not, it moves side to side,” says Howell.
    When and where?
    “They can be fished from the surface with high speed retrieves for schooling crappie or even all the way to bottom, sliding it slowly for lazy winter slabs,” he explained.
    “The Bandits have been fished in almost every state along with Canada,” Howell pointed out. “They work in any type of water clear, muddy, shallow, deep, cold or hot. This bait works equally well in rivers as it does lakes.”
    For the fact that most crappie anglers are typically catching most of their crappie from places such as brush piles in deeper water, Howell adapted the Slab Bandit to the brush around his home waters.
    “It fish's well in brush, which is my main style of fishing here at home, I normally use the smaller hooks and baits here to feel my way through the brush, for less hang ups. We typically average fishing around 17 feet throughout the year.They work just as well in open water as they do around any type of cover”
    When it comes to what water temperature is best for catching crappie on the Slab Bandits, Howell explained where he has found the most success with the bait.
    “If there's living fish in the water they'll hit it from 90 plus degrees to ice overs in the north. For the Slab Bandit, water clarity does not matter due to our blend of attractants.”
    As to how well it goes through other types of cover, such as grass, Howell’s pro-staffers along with other anglers started experimenting with the bait.
    “Anglers are using small swim jigs to slide these through grass, an idea we did not design the bait for, but have great with.”
    What makes it work?
    “There action is different to other baits by the fact they always carry the tail up, their moving action in a free fall is a glide and stall then the bait will slip left or right more precisely imitating a careless feeding minnow or perch. The bait has a little more bulk and density than other products, due to its design,” Howell pointed out.
    “The plastic is slightly harder than most manufactures. It's the process we use that makes them durable. The record to date of fish caught on a single bait by a licensed guide after super gluing the head on to the bait is 171 crappie,” added Howell.
    “The body goes from 3/8" to .050" depending on the size of bait. It’s offered in 3 sizes, the 1250 series is 1.5" long, the 1000 is 1.9" long, while the 2375 is 2.5" long
    Favorite set-up?
    As for what jig head Howell likes to use with the Slab Bandit, he chooses a jig head of his own design and one that both him and his pro-staffers have had success with.
    “Any type of head can be used, though we have one coming out this fall that was developed over 2 years ago for dock shooting.
    “On the 1250 model, I use a #10 to #6 matzuo sickle hook. On the 1000 model I use a #4 to a #2 hook, and lastly, on the 2375 model I use a 2 to 1/0 hook.”

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I have so far, Just BEWARE, it's un-edited. Let me know your thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

You have done a good job of anticipating what your readers would want to know. You need to improve clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by crappieandbassman123 View Post
    THE MINNOW TAKE OVER
    Robert Howell knew very well what he was looking for in a crappie lure when he started to design the Slab Bandit as an addition to the Crazy Angler Tackle product line of crappie lures in October 2010. So what was he looking for? It was a Slab Bandit that helped tournament angler Tracy Humber and his Partner win big fish at the Greenville, Miss. Crappie Masters event on Lake Washington with a 2.69 pound crappie. The success alone of the Slab Bandit can be seen in its twenty first place finishes across the nation, along with winning state and local level tournaments as well as on the Crappie Masters tournament trail. So the twenty first place finishes were in the Crappie Masters tournaments? Confusing..
    After Howell perfected the design and started giving it to his pro-staff, both Howell and his staff started having results nearly all over the United States, and even into Canada. He soon realized the Slab Bandit’s potential as a bait you could use for long lining, slow trolling, and even power trolling.
    “It appears more natural than any other bait of all the species of forage for crappie. The crawfish, freshwater shrimp and small water parasites, all move their tail in an up and down motion. The Slab Bandit does not and none of the fry profile forage has their tail hanging, the Slab Bandit does not, it moves side to side,” says Howell. Eh? How does it "appear more natural" when three prey species you list move their tails up and down and "the Slab Bandit does not"? How does moving "side to side" make it resemble prey that moves up and down?
    When and where?
    “They can be fished from the surface with high speed retrieves for schooling crappie or even all the way to bottom, sliding it slowly for lazy winter slabs,” he explained.
    “The Bandits have been fished in almost every state along with Canada,” Howell pointed out. “They work in any type of water clear, muddy, shallow, deep, cold or hot. This bait works equally well in rivers as it does lakes.”
    For the fact that most crappie anglers are typically catching most of their crappie from places such as brush piles in deeper water, Howell adapted the Slab Bandit to the brush around his home waters.
    “It fish's fisheswell in brush, which is my main style of fishing here at home, I normally use the smaller hooks and baits here to feel my way through the brush, for less hang ups. We typically average fishing around 17 feet throughout the year.They work just as well in open water as they do around any type of cover”
    When it comes to what water temperature is best for catching crappie on the Slab Bandits, Howell explained where he has found the most success with the bait. Continue explanation in same paragraph
    “If there's living fish in the water they'll hit it from 90 plus degrees to ice overs in the north. For the Slab Bandit, water clarity does not matter due to our blend of attractants.” Explain connection between having attractants and water clarity not mattering.
    As to how well it goes through other types of cover, such as grass, Howell’s pro-staffers along with other anglers started experimenting with the bait.
    “Anglers are using small swim jigs to slide these through grass, an idea we did not design the bait for, but have great success?with.”
    What makes it work?
    “There action is different to other baits by the fact they always carry the tail up, Which does the "they" refer to--SB's or other baits? their moving action in a free fall is a glide and stall then the bait will slip left or right more precisely imitating a careless feeding minnow or perch. The bait has a little more bulk and density than other products, due to its design,” Howell pointed out.
    “The plastic is slightly harder than most manufactures than that used by most other manufacturers. It's the process we use that makes them durable. The record to date of fish caught on a single bait by a licensed guide after super gluing the head on to the bait is 171 crappie,” added Howell.
    “The bodydiameter goes from 3/8" to .050" 1/2" depending on the size of bait. It’s offered in 3 sizes, the 1250 series is 1.5" long, the 1000 is 1.9" long, while the 2375 is 2.5" long
    Favorite set-up?
    As for what jig head Howell likes to use with the Slab Bandit, he chooses a jig head of his own design and one that both him heand his pro-staffers have had success with.
    “Any type of head can be used, though we have one coming out this fall that was developed over 2 years ago for dock shooting.
    “On the 1250 model, I use a #10 to #6 matzuo sickle hook. On the 1000 model I use a #4 to a #2 hook, and lastly, on the 2375 model I use a 2 to 1/0 hook.”

Post Thanks / Like

very good job sir
    Crappie Logic - (662) 418-2038

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep.....great job!
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Its not done yet! Thanks for all the comments!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great so far!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

crappieslinger is offline Moderator Kansas Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great rough draft! It will certainly need a lot of editing for grammar and correct punctuation but I think you have a great rough draft so far! Thumbs Up
    Don't Move a Mussel!! Clean, Drain and Dry EVERY TIME, ON EVERY BODY OF WATER!!

Post Thanks / Like

"What makes it work?
    “There(Their) action is different to other baits by the fact they always carry the tail"

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of interest shown by a 16 year old and continuing to improve in his writing skills. Keep hammerin' away at it and by next year, you could
    be on the payroll. (Next year is just 5 months away)
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"