Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishfinder Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishfinder Question

Hi, I just put my first fishfinder ever on my boat and it is a pirahna max 15 by humminbird. I have used it 3 times now and i was wondering: the most fish i have seen on the screen at one time is 5 or 6 and i have a feeling that there were more. Do you ever see large numbers of fish on the screen at one time? I have the fish I.D. feature On, and it has been right about the size of the fish (because all of the crappie I was catching were about 4 inches...lol) so, i am hoping nothing is wrong with the unit, but i just think there are more fish than it has been showing. I have the sensitivity on 4 out of 10, so if i turned that up, do you think it would show more detail?

any advice or tips would be great...

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I am by far an expert on this subject but I always set the sensitivity at it's highest setting. I have and do on many occasions seen far more than 4 fish on the screen. Keep in mind your unit is a basic model and will lack detail like better units but should still get the job done. My opinion is fish finders are better suited for locating the structure that hold fish and not the fish themselves. Find the structure find the fish. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Ride around a bridge and you should see more fish.

Post Thanks / Like

that is the bad part, i have gone under the causeway on our lake and have only seen 1 fish. And shouldnt the wide beam show the supports on the display? just thought about that

Post Thanks / Like

Default Piranha Max

I have one of those things mounted to the top of my trolling motor so I can see all the big Crappie everyone else catches. I pick up a few at a time on my unit also, but am thinking that in shallow water (12'-15' deep) that perhaps the cone of coverage is not too big. Have you tried it in deeper water? I've made one trip where went across deeper water (about 85') and didn't see any fish. That could be that there just weren't any there or maybe the unit did not display them. I don't really think the unit was at fault at this time, since it has worked well for me this past Spring. I have the model with the two beam transducer and I assume that is the same model you have. The fish that I do pick up seem to be caught in the wider beam, but again it could be just the shallow water. Hope this helps.
    Happiness is a belt fed weapon.

Some people have heroes that wear capes.
    MY heroes wear kevlar vests embossed with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor

Post Thanks / Like

there may be some information in this thread that will help you understand what you are looking at.
    http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...highlight=cone

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the tips...the lake i fish on isnt super deep, but i think i will try it in some deeper water by the dam, just to see what happens.