Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: reel gear ratio

Post Thanks / Like

Default reel gear ratio

would a lower gear ratio, have any advantage, on casting plugs and road runners, jig etc. as a slower retreive, is better.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question advantage or trade off ??

the lower ratio would allow you to reel in slower, when you wanted a slow retrieve ... but, it also means you'd have to reel that much faster when you wanted a fast retrieve (or bring the fish to the boat quick). The gear ratio only determines how many times the spool turns one complete revolution, for each complete turn of the handle. The spool size (diameter) and line capacity also figure in, when you are concerned with how much line is actually being retrieved per turn of the handle. That changes throughout the retrieve, since the line capacity has diminished with your cast (amount depends on length of cast, and the amount of available line on the reel to start with). As your line spool fills back up, with the incoming line, the amount of line pulled in increases ... even though your handle turns are at the same speed. In most cases, it's negligible or unnoticable, especially on UL's.
    I don't even think about gear ratio, or line retrieval lengths per handle turn ... I watch the line, from the rod tip to the water's surface. I maintain my handle turning speed, so that the line is in a long drooping arch (not really "slack", but not straight tight, either). I'm referring, of course, to casting a jig. I'm watching the line for any movement not created by me, telltale signs of a hit.
    When retrieving a "plug" or Roadrunner, the line IS tight. But, in those cases, I'm not line watching as much as I'm feeling the tension on the rod tip, and watching the line "angle" to tell how deep the bait is running or how fast it's coming in. And I expect to "feel" the hit, when it occurs. I don't try and feel the hit when casting a jig, as much as watch the line to "see" the hit. ...... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default ratio

Thanks for reply, good and deep info. and most of all common sense.
    Thanks