Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: At the Cave

Post Thanks / Like

Default At the Cave

Has anyone fished Cave Run recently? Plan on going tomorrow after a 3 week hiatus. I normally get on the Cave at least weekly from April thru June but this spring's crazy weather and a busy schedule have upset my normal fishing. I haven't talked to anyone who's done very well this spring as opposed to last year when the Cave suddenly became a "crappie lake". Any info is appreciated.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Backlash ......

Quote Originally Posted by Backlash
    Has anyone fished Cave Run recently? Plan on going tomorrow after a 3 week hiatus. I normally get on the Cave at least weekly from April thru June but this spring's crazy weather and a busy schedule have upset my normal fishing. I haven't talked to anyone who's done very well this spring as opposed to last year when the Cave suddenly became a "crappie lake". Any info is appreciated.
    I've "heard" reports of some decent Crappie being caught at the Cave, but haven't fished there in many years. Lexington's newspaper usually has a lake report on Friday's .... and best I can remember - Crappie were in the deep trees (20+ ft), but not all that deep (8-12ft). I remember hearing of some decent sized fish being caught, earlier in the year, but nothing recently.
    If you go, give us a report back .... lake conditions, size, numbers, baits used, areas fished, etc.
    I've had the same "problems" (work/weather), and haven't been to any of the local waters, yet this year. That may change this weekend (I hope) :D Don't know exactly where I'm going, or even what I may end up fishing for ... but, I do know that I WILL GO, somewhere ... even if it's just to Cedar Creek, to play with the little ones :D ....... luck2ya .... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Water is very clear and at full pool, temps lows 70s. Fish the trees in water over 20 ft deep about 10 to 15 ft down early in the day. I've found the crappie to be on the small side this year, but I did land one 17 3/4 last week.

Post Thanks / Like

Fished Cave Run yesterday. We fished various coves off the main lake. Water is very clear and at summer pool. Surface temp was in the 72-76 range. Was overcast early then partly cloudy the rest of the day. Fished with minnows. We caught numerous fish in the 12-15 foot range over submerged brush. Caveman is correct about the size. Most we caught were on the short side. Very few keepers in the bunch. Also caught lots of small bass in the 10-14 inch range and several catfish in the same size rage. Going again in a few days and plan to fish the river in the Poppin Rock area. Hopefully will do better up there.