Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eyes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Eyes

What paint makes the best eyes on powder painted lead heads?

What do you use for an applicator? Toothpick cut in half?

Do you paint the eyes and then bake or bake after powder painting and then paint eyes and re-bake?

Do two tone eyes make a difference, or do eyes make a difference at all?

Thanks for all the stuff ya'll post on here to help us newbies.
    Slab Masters Tournament Trail ............... www.slabmasterstournamenttrail.net

litewirehooker is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

What paint makes the best eyes on powder painted lead heads? I use Rustoleum enamel

What do you use for an applicator? Toothpick cut in half? "q" tips applicators

Do you paint the eyes and then bake or bake after powder painting and then paint eyes and re-bake? I paint the eyes then bake for 7 Minutes @ 280-300. Note: White on red will fade .....can't bake quite as long.

Do two tone eyes make a difference, or do eyes make a difference at all? All in the eyes of the beholder.....They look good to the fishermen

My thoughts......
    http://litewirehooks.com/
    [email protected]
    Every day you do not fish will be one day less you have to fish

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=lightwirehooker;1987498]What paint makes the best eyes on powder painted lead heads? I use Rustoleum enamel

What do you use for an applicator? Toothpick cut in half? "q" tips applicators

Do you paint the eyes and then bake or bake after powder painting and then paint eyes and re-bake? I paint the eyes then bake for 7 Minutes @ 280-300. Note: White on red will fade .....can't bake quite as long.

Do two tone eyes make a difference, or do eyes make a difference at all? All in the eyes of the beholder.....They look good to the fishermen

My thoughts......[/QUOTE

Oh so true on the beholder. I did not paint any eyes on jigs in the beginning for a few reasons, and still don't on my own. But if your selling them it's a whole nother story. Anymore it's 3/1 in favor of the eyes easily. Some top notch makers get up to $50/100, just babbling
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 50/50 on the issue of eyes on jigs. There's days when jigs with eyes will outcatch plain colored heads. I'm looking more at the stick on 3-D eyes that a bunch of folks are using - but as I figure out glitter in powder more I'm wondering if eyes are necessary.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have started painted some that I use myself with paint sticks. Still testing them right now but I do like the way they are coming out. Was told about using the paint sticks by another tyer that uses them.
    I use the 3D when someone wants eyes but the cost keeps going up so looking for a way to keep cost down. I have not seen any difference in using eyes but I never seen a blind bait fish either so... LOL who knows. They sure do make a jig pretty..
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input and thoughts!
    Slab Masters Tournament Trail ............... www.slabmasterstournamenttrail.net

Post Thanks / Like

Good ole craft paint and flat ended drill bits with a coat of hard as nails will do the job.....

Post Thanks / Like

Nice!

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Len, do you have to roll the bits to compensate for the roundness of the head.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STUMP HUNTER View Post
    Len, do you have to roll the bits to compensate for the roundness of the head.
    Just dot the eye with the bit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast