Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Garmin 550C anyone use one? What's do you have as a GPS fish finder ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Garmin 550C anyone use one? What's do you have as a GPS fish finder ?

I am looking to buy a new GPS fish finder for the bow of my boat and have been looking at the Garmin 550 c has any one used one? Pros vs cons? What do you guys recommend, what do you use ? Just trying to decide needing advise. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Don't own one but seriously thinking about getting one. Just rat holing money until I can buy one .... You might want to check out this video on youtube ..... G3 Sportsman Hammers Crappie with the Garmin Echo 550c - YouTube Gives you a real good look at one being used.
    I have not yet begun to procrastinate .....

Post Thanks / Like

This has now peaked my interest. I'm looking at upgrading the units on my recently purchased boat and don't want to spend 2k+ on these new DSI units. This looks like a good possibility after watching that video. I purchased an Eagle Cuda 350 from Cabelas on closeout over Christmas for my flat bottom boat and they had rave reviews. Wish I had bought two for the price they had. Haven't installed or used it yet however.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a good unit but the only negative I see is there doesnt appear to be anywhere to accept a lake enhancement chip or a place to slip in a card to download your waypoints. Also, I havent been able to find anything to read about the GPS part of the unit.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe this unit has GPS from the discription.

Post Thanks / Like

I was interested in one, as I have a Garmin GPS, so emailed Garmin awhile ago on the 550C. It has no GPS and can't be linked to one either. Sonar only, if that's all you need, looks like a nice unit. Sure would like to see one in action on the water.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Every thing I have read about Garmin units with GPS is they operate on different format for mapping than Humn and Lorance. The are not compatable with the mapping cards like Navonicis from what see. That 550 is supposed to be a good unit though.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I just put one on 2 weeks ago . I really , really like it , but if I had it to do over , I would have gotten one with a gps .I picked mine up on ebay for $375 including shipping.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
    I was interested in one, as I have a Garmin GPS, so emailed Garmin awhile ago on the 550C. It has no GPS and can't be linked to one either. Sonar only, if that's all you need, looks like a nice unit. Sure would like to see one in action on the water.
    Well, that explains the cheap price for all the features it has (640 X 480 pixels, 500 RMS Watts, 4000 peak power, etc.). Still, a good unit for the money even without GPS.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I am running a Lowrance HDS5. Not a huge screen, but it does fine for me.

It comes with real nice maps on it, but if you need more it takes the Navionics ones.

Gen II models run around 700.00 . I have been happy with mine. It does everything I need and more.
    Last edited by Drifty4; 08-04-2012 at 02:09 PM.