Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Blue Green Algae

crappieslinger is offline Moderator Kansas Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Blue Green Algae

Craig,
    I am just curious as to what causes blue green algae? I know that relies on photosynthesis but apparently there must be some sort of nutrient requirement for the bloom to occur? I had thought that it only affected mostly stagnant waters but it seems that it can affect even large bodies of water with considerable agitation.
    Can you elaborate at all on what conditions are favorable for Cyanobacteria to help me understand what causes this and is there anything that can be done to prevent this?
    Don't Move a Mussel!! Clean, Drain and Dry EVERY TIME, ON EVERY BODY OF WATER!!

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieslinger View Post
    Craig,
    I am just curious as to what causes blue green algae? I know that relies on photosynthesis but apparently there must be some sort of nutrient requirement for the bloom to occur? I had thought that it only affected mostly stagnant waters but it seems that it can affect even large bodies of water with considerable agitation.
    Can you elaborate at all on what conditions are favorable for Cyanobacteria to help me understand what causes this and is there anything that can be done to prevent this?
    crappieslinger,

Blue green algae (cyanobacteria) are present in all waters in Kansas. It is only a 'problem' when a bloom occurs and density of the blue green algae skyrockets. Blue green algae are capable of producing toxins called microcystins which cause the symptoms when exposure occurs.

Blue green algae thrive in WARM, nutrient rich waters. Phosphorus is the nutrient that drives blue green algae blooms. Very warm temperatures, clear skies and lots of sun, low wind, and nutrient enriched waters are prime for blue green algae blooms. Last year we had a lot of heat but didn't have the wind like we are experiencing this year which may be keeping us from experiencing even more blooms at the larger lakes like we saw in 2011. Lack of wind allows the lakes to 'settle' and become more clear which allows sunlight to penetrate deeper in to the water column which expands the photic zone of the lake allowing more 'room' for algae to grow with adequate sunlight. Windless days also allow water temperatures to reach higher levels where the blue greens thrive.

Prevention practices would include an effective nutrient management plan for the watershed above the water body. This is often difficult as a watershed usually contains many private landowners, cities, and other groups. Phosphorous sources may include urban runf-off, agriculture practices, feed lot operations, and point and non point source pollution.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

crappieslinger is offline Moderator Kansas Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Johnson View Post
    crappieslinger,

Blue green algae (cyanobacteria) are present in all waters in Kansas. It is only a 'problem' when a bloom occurs and density of the blue green algae skyrockets. Blue green algae are capable of producing toxins called microcystins which cause the symptoms when exposure occurs.

Blue green algae thrive in WARM, nutrient rich waters. Phosphorus is the nutrient that drives blue green algae blooms. Very warm temperatures, clear skies and lots of sun, low wind, and nutrient enriched waters are prime for blue green algae blooms. Last year we had a lot of heat but didn't have the wind like we are experiencing this year which may be keeping us from experiencing even more blooms at the larger lakes like we saw in 2011. Lack of wind allows the lakes to 'settle' and become more clear which allows sunlight to penetrate deeper in to the water column which expands the photic zone of the lake allowing more 'room' for algae to grow with adequate sunlight. Windless days also allow water temperatures to reach higher levels where the blue greens thrive.

Prevention practices would include an effective nutrient management plan for the watershed above the water body. This is often difficult as a watershed usually contains many private landowners, cities, and other groups. Phosphorous sources may include urban runf-off, agriculture practices, feed lot operations, and point and non point source pollution.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

Thanks Craig and yes that does answer my questions.
    Don't Move a Mussel!! Clean, Drain and Dry EVERY TIME, ON EVERY BODY OF WATER!!

Post Thanks / Like

If I might add something, phosphates are in fertilizers and dish/laundry soaps. Treatment of wastewater doesn't require removal of these compounds, so they accumulate in the water. This is evident by "foam" whenever water is agitated, like waves or discharges from lakes. Our college chemical engineering classes visited wastewater treatment facilities and up river from the discharge it looked like any normal river. However, at and downstream the water was lime green from the blooms caused by phosphates. I've even used Google Earth and zoomed in on it and it's visible. Something you might try yourselves even. I've even read that now they claim BG algal blooms create a very hefty portion of the O2 in the atmosphere
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat