Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Xpress H20B--anyone fished out of one?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Xpress H20B--anyone fished out of one?

I've been boat shopping now for a while, and I think I'm getting close making a decision. Started off looking at 18 foot boats, but have since decided to go to a 20. Center console for sure. The reason this boat is jumping out at me is the two foldable jump seats beside the leaning post. I've got a 4 year old and a 2 year old, and this seems like a pretty safe setup for them. My concern...it's a "bay boat" with 22 inch sides versus their xp20 with 26 inch sides. My thinking is it will catch less wind when spider rigging. But will it be a wetter ride. Anyone with experience, please fill me in. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

check out the excel viper center console, best build boat on the water !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!

Post Thanks / Like

I have not looked at the boat you are talking about, but I did have a 20' WarEagle center console and like you I have small children. I ended up selling it cause I could never get use to my kids sitting behind me and me standing in front of them. I found myself steadily looking back to make sure they were safe.

Post Thanks / Like

I've looked at excels, great boats. Not out of the running at all. In fact, I've been in contact with them about building me a boat with a few small changes to one of their designs. Suppose to get a reply back from them next week to see if it's possible. The biggest drawback of the excels for me is lack of livewell space. On center console models, the only livewell is on the front of the console, and it's not very big.
    That's a good point on the kids, but that's what draws me to the xpress line. The two seats are right beside leaning post and they are down in the boat versus a seat base on the back deck. Their feet could actually touch the floor of the boat.

Thanks for the comments. All comments/suggestions welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at those as well. They are hard to find used and at around 32K new, I couldn't justify. For that money you can get a slightly used glass boat. I went with a Ranger 2300 bay boat and am glad I did. Huge livewells, plenty of seating, giant deck, super smooth and dry ride.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 22' express, i don't think it matters what alum. boat you get it will catch the wind more than a fiberglass boat. i like mine for duck hunting but it's not the 20' ranger i used to have .

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they are a little pricey, but I tried the glass boat, and it just didn't fit my needs. If I only chased crappie, it would be great. But I like to duck hunt, run jugs, and noodle. Glass boats with carpet just aren't for me. I found that I was too worried about messing up my ranger and it just sat a lot in the shop. I've owned an xpress before and liked it. Just got caught up with wanting a "glittery" glass boat. Now that ive got that out of my system, I'm ready to go back to an all purpose boat that I'll use.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the XP 20 CC with F115 Yamaha. Use mainly for crappie and just riding the family around here on the Warrior and Tombigbee rivers. Also fish the Louisiana marsh 6-8 times a year.
    It has been a great all around boat,just hose it out when I get home or if it gets muddy inside use the pressure washer.
    Only cons I have is a little rough ride when choppy with the shallow deadrise, also it's stern heavy but think I can remedy that by moving the two TM batteries from rear to under the console.
    I am really planning this to be my lifetime hull,when time to repower I will repaint or wrap it

WOT is 44 mph per GPS

Also get 6.9 mpg!

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a H22B with a Yamaha 150 that I've had since February. So far I love it. The fit and finish isn't the same as a fiberglass, but I knew that going into it... The HxxB series have the hyperlift hull which rides a lot better than the X series hull. It has a pad similar to fiberglass hulls.
    It is actually a really dry riding boat. I've had it it genuine 2 to 3 footers and stayed dry. Now that was going about 15 mph might be different if you want to plow through them faster than that.

As with any aluminum boat, it will catch wind more so than a heavier fiberglass. I am considering drift socks to combat that.

The side seats are nice, but I usually end up with the wife and my 6 year old sitting on the seat in front of the console. I went with the 22 footer because that adds a foot to the rod lockers and it came with a tandem axle trailer. I love the spray in liner, just hose it out and its good to go. Seems durable also.

As someone else pointed out they are stern heavy. My trolling batteries are under the console and I am thinking of moving them to the front.

I saw on your profile that you are in OK. If you are near Lake Eufaula I'd be happy to take you out and show you the good/bad points. I live about 10 minutes from the lake.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2 using Tapatalk 2
    XPress12
    -Scott P.

Post Thanks / Like

No carpet in my Ranger and not glittery. I understand about wanting a do all boat . I settled on a used 7 year old Ranger and kept my '07 model 18' camo boat. I personally feel that all fishermen should have at least 3, preferably 5 boats!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Yes, they are a little pricey, but I tried the glass boat, and it just didn't fit my needs. If I only chased crappie, it would be great. But I like to duck hunt, run jugs, and noodle. Glass boats with carpet just aren't for me. I found that I was too worried about messing up my ranger and it just sat a lot in the shop. I've owned an xpress before and liked it. Just got caught up with wanting a "glittery" glass boat. Now that ive got that out of my system, I'm ready to go back to an all purpose boat that I'll use.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536