Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All of a sudden the boat wouldn't start

Post Thanks / Like

Default All of a sudden the boat wouldn't start

Went fishing and the boat startred a little rough but then ran great. 5 days later, go fishing and the boat won't start at all. Brought it home, replaced the plugs, it needed that but it still wouldn't start. After 2 days of pooting around I realize that my fuel line bulb is barely squirting gasoline. Buy the bulb,replace the old one, started immediately. A fellow I met while buying the bulb at Wally world said that the ethanol in the gasoline is tearing up the old fuel lines. Keep that in mind but check the diameters of your fuel line and bulb inflow and out flow connections. The only fuel lines that our Wally carries are for the newer plastic tanks w/ pressure fittings. I have bought one of every wrong thing I can find. Hate to take things back, usually have them destroyed before I realize that this is not going to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Measure first, ask Questions later.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

might as well break down and go to a dealer of XX brand OB motors and buy the right stuff, fittings and all and be done with it. Cuts into fishing time. Doing the McGuyver thing with gas don't always work out like on TV.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

bflowers is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I had to replace all my fuel lines, fuel filters, and bulbs for my motors the last time I went out. I learned a valuable lesson; do not store ethanol fuel even with marine stabil in it for over a month.
    ​COURTESY,LOYALTY,SERVICE, & HONOR

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use the ethanol fuel period. I spend the cash to use premium, non ethanol fuel. A lot of motors are set up for ethanol though. It's the older ones that are'nt. Even if you change out all your hoses, primer bulb to alcohol safe hoses, your carbs will also need to be upgraded with an alcohol safe gaskets, seals and diaphrams. There are these kits available if you search.

The best and easiest way is to NEVER use ethanol gas in a boat, or any other motor other than your car. I have 5-6 gallon cans that I rotate. Costs me a bunch when I go fill them all, but at least I have it when I need it.

My boat, Harley, and all my small engines use the premium. It might be over kill, but I don't have any fuel issues either.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie reaper View Post
    i don't use the ethanol fuel period. I spend the cash to use premium, non ethanol fuel. A lot of motors are set up for ethanol though. It's the older ones that are'nt. Even if you change out all your hoses, primer bulb to alcohol safe hoses, your carbs will also need to be upgraded with an alcohol safe gaskets, seals and diaphrams. There are these kits available if you search.

The best and easiest way is to never use ethanol gas in a boat, or any other motor other than your car. I have 5-6 gallon cans that i rotate. Costs me a bunch when i go fill them all, but at least i have it when i need it.

My boat, harley, and all my small engines use the premium. It might be over kill, but i don't have any fuel issues either.
    x2 ...........
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Reaper View Post
    I don't use the ethanol fuel period. I spend the cash to use premium, non ethanol fuel. A lot of motors are set up for ethanol though. It's the older ones that are'nt. Even if you change out all your hoses, primer bulb to alcohol safe hoses, your carbs will also need to be upgraded with an alcohol safe gaskets, seals and diaphrams. There are these kits available if you search.

The best and easiest way is to NEVER use ethanol gas in a boat, or any other motor other than your car. I have 5-6 gallon cans that I rotate. Costs me a bunch when I go fill them all, but at least I have it when I need it.

My boat, Harley, and all my small engines use the premium. It might be over kill, but I don't have any fuel issues either.
    I don't use ethanol either, but still add the ethanol treatment for extra measure. I just recently purchased a boat and haven't used it much, but I only use 87 octance. I was going to use a higher octane, but received conflicting information online and from mechanics about the higher octane fuel burning too hot for outboard engines.
    It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings.
    –Ann Landers

crappieslinger is offline Moderator Kansas Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Reaper View Post
    I don't use the ethanol fuel period. I spend the cash to use premium, non ethanol fuel.
    I agree 100% Here in Northeast Kansas the premium is 10 cents higher per gallon but only amounts to about an extra 50 cents for a weekend of fishing. Even for 100 gallons of fuel it is only 10 bucks more. I think it is worth 10 buck a year to keep everything running properly and save me the headaches of dealing with ethanol.
    Don't Move a Mussel!! Clean, Drain and Dry EVERY TIME, ON EVERY BODY OF WATER!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use only Premium gas in everything. No problems! EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I drive 10 miles to buy ethenol free gas for boats, 4-wheelers, mowers, weed eaters, chainsaws ,ect .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast