Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Powder Paint Not Glossing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Powder Paint Not Glossing?

I bought a bunch of powder paints off of E-BAY and have not had any trouble with any of them until today. I tried a green chart and It never glossed over. It stayed fuzzy looking. I got one head so hot that it melted partially. The jar looks kind of old. Is this a common occurrence with old paints?
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

While you can never be sure how old it is, or more importantly how it was stored by the person you bought it from. Were there any clumps in it??? Could be an indication that it was stored where some sun got to it and it clumped.

With the cap on shake the hell out of it and make sure it's nice and loose. Are you dipping or using a fluid bed??? If dipping do you stir the powder after 2-3 jigs to keep it loose?? What are you using for your heat source?? I know it's alot of questions but the more we know how you use it the better we can help.

Last question?? Does it cure right?? If it does I wouldn't worry so much but you didn't say anything about that. Give a yell if you need more help

Post Thanks / Like

Noticed the date on that particular jar was 3/99. No clumps but I have a jar of yellow with the same date that has clumps. I use an alcohol heat source and a 2" fluid bed I bought from Bugman. A lot of the jars that I got were fairly new and slightly used. I feel like I'm doing everything right I just think that the paint is too old. Didn't notice the date until a while ago. I'm dotting my eyes with vinyl lure paint after I cure the head color. Is this the way that I should do it? What if I want a 2 color eye? Do I need to cure the vinyl paint in my toaster oven also?

Thanks
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

SB, your green color, is it glow possibly? Or a dead glow? I have one someone gave me, side by side it matches glow but won't glow. Your eyes with vinyl paint, the 2 stage eyes I paint the first color on a run of them and then dot the pupil in on a that run of them. Vinyl doesn't take long to cure and baking isn't necessary. I also do a 5 stage laminated eye like some fly guys, it got's that buggy look.
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good info guys. The fluorescent chartreuse seems to be very sensitive and if you over heat the jig the paint will burn and come out dull. I have to drop my heat time when using the fl chart.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiedoc View Post
    SB, your green color, is it glow possibly? Or a dead glow? I have one someone gave me, side by side it matches glow but won't glow. Your eyes with vinyl paint, the 2 stage eyes I paint the first color on a run of them and then dot the pupil in on a that run of them. Vinyl doesn't take long to cure and baking isn't necessary. I also do a 5 stage laminated eye like some fly guys, it got's that buggy look.
    Crappiedoc, would love to see your 5 stage painting of the eyes. I like a buggy look

snake River is online now Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

we But some powder paints from Columbia and they do have a dull finish with that particular powder paint so you're probably want to check out the company if you can wear your powder paint come from to see if that particular one was made that way to go on dull yes we do have quite a few of them that come out that way I'm glad to see this post for sure there will be some outstanding information coming in the future I'm sure though I have not messed with too much of mixing powder paints but I do have a ton of it and I think that my good buddy is going to send me some more here pretty quick I have enough powder paint to last me three lifetimes.

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry too much about the date on the jar (unless the powder is a solid lump!!!!!!) As I said before if it's curing okay I wouldn't worry about it too much. On vinyl all I ever did with it was dip my jig, let it dry then use a 2 part epoxy over the top. had to give it up because it was causing me alot of headaches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STUMP HUNTER View Post
    Crappiedoc, would love to see your 5 stage painting of the eyes. I like a buggy look
    I don't have a camera that can take good enough pics for you. However, if you'll pm me your address I'll send you some. You can post pics if you want or not. I will say they are labor intensive, very. They are a take-off of Skips eyes, I just figured out a way to keep them from bleeding using Sally's and have a signature look.
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiedoc View Post
    I don't have a camera that can take good enough pics for you. However, if you'll pm me your address I'll send you some. You can post pics if you want or not. I will say they are labor intensive, very. They are a take-off of Skips eyes, I just figured out a way to keep them from bleeding using Sally's and have a signature look.
    That will work, I'll PM you my address and once I received them I'll post pics for you. This is the kind of painting I hope we can share on this forum so the jig tyers can take their jigs to the next level and see how to do it.
    May take a while for it to take on but we have some great members and the talent is unreal. Thanks