Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Where they at?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Where they at?

Hello New York, I will be heading up to Rochester in late June and was wondering where the bite might be? I am from Rochester so I know most of the water but I have not fished there in a while. I will be visiting my father and I plan on bringing my boat. I love fishing Bradocks Bay, Long pond, Duck pond,Irondiquit/Webster Sodas..etc..etc What say you all. How is the water level this year? Thanks in advance for any info.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey, L2Fish !

In the Rochester area, you'll find plenty of crappie in the Seneca River, especially at night. There's a guy at this forum who fishes Seneca almost exclusively, and he slams the slabs at night from June through september.

Also, there's lots of slabs cruising around in Canadaigua and Honeoye Lakes. Both lakes have what can be called better than average crappie fishing -- in terms of numbers and size.

You'll need to get out in a boat -- but that shouldn't be a problem -- both lakes rent them .... small rowboats with (I believe0 10 hp motors.
    Bring plenty of fathead minnows, and fish the drop-offs and weedlines, in 12 to 20 feet of water.
    You can also throw 1/8 oz. jigs, with twister tail grubs, in white, chartreuse,
    pumpkin, and watermelon --- and any combination thereof.

There are numerous smaller lakes and ponds scattered arouind the Rochester area -- get a good topo map, and make some phone calls.

You'll only catch big crappies in lakes that are KNOWN to hold big crappies -- otherwise, you'll be wasting your time !

Hope this helps.

Good luck to you -- and tight lines !

Kaptain K.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Seneca River...?

you wouldn't happen to know if the slabs are localized to the Rochester area, or if there might be some a bit further East, say, Monetzuma,Port Byron or Weedsport?

I've never fished crappie in rivers - always lakes and ponds. Where do they hand out in rivers?