Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are some of your teaching methods?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What are some of your teaching methods?

I printed and laminated pictures of fish, hooks, rigs, and weight styles to place in the boat so that my daughters (and others) can look at them to assist in identifying.
    It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings.
    –Ann Landers

NIMROD is online now Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing beats time catching on the water. First thing is to keep it simple and most of all entertaining.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I really need to get better at fishing to ensure they enjoy it. I agree, they get the most entertainment from actually catching.
    It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings.
    –Ann Landers

Post Thanks / Like

hey,tiger it would be great if you could bring your kids to nimrod lake it is nothing to catch 50 to a 100 crappie a day a lot are small but kids don't care it would last a life time !!!!!!! CA (nimrod) has a catfish whole that is fantastic you should see some of the kids faces after there time on the water!!!! our fall camp is going to be there sept 7 & 8th. would make a good time to bring them.
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Improve your skills so you can keep the children in the fish. You'd be surprised how fast they'll pick up on it as long as you keep it interesting and fun for them.Thumbs Up
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD View Post
    Nothing beats time catching on the water. First thing is to keep it simple and most of all entertaining.
    That's it in a nutshell!
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

My girls like to pick their own minners, they say they can pick the luckie ones! Go figure?? The ones they pick get eat Rofl
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MEATGETTER View Post
    hey,tiger it would be great if you could bring your kids to nimrod lake it is nothing to catch 50 to a 100 crappie a day a lot are small but kids don't care it would last a life time !!!!!!! CA (nimrod) has a catfish whole that is fantastic you should see some of the kids faces after there time on the water!!!! our fall camp is going to be there sept 7 & 8th. would make a good time to bring them.
    I'll miss that one, as I have some training scheduled for work. I bought my first boat last October and my schedule has been crazy ever since. Go figure. Thanks for the invite though.
    –Ann Landers

Post Thanks / Like

This is almost exactly how I teach kids:

More Bluegills

My brother and I were using this method today. Between the two of us, we had sixty bluegill and a few small catfish in about 2.5 hours. That's about sixty fish more than anybody else caught. We didn't have any maggots, so we used wax worms.

There was a family fishing nearby us (and catching nothing.) I felt bad for the little girl who was using a cheap spincast outfish and staring at a motionless bobber. I asked her if she wanted to try using a telescopic pole. She said, "Sure!" Ten minutes later, she had caught four bluegills.

As noted above, simplicity is key. This method is simple, and it works.

NIMROD is online now Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman_Wantabe View Post
    My girls like to pick their own minners, they say they can pick the luckie ones! Go figure?? The ones they pick get eat Rofl
    Maybe they should word it differently. They pick the unlucky minners.Rofl
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast