Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't like to use minnows. Will crappies bite on worms? What else?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't like to use minnows. Will crappies bite on worms? What else?

Friend says crappie just like to feed on minnows not worms. I fish from shore. Do crappies come in to the shallows(5') to feed at night or in the morning when it is this hot? Caught a couple crappies with worms. I have berkley minnow swimbaits, beetle jigs, beetle spins, berkley maggots, minnow jigs, etc. I like to fish with a sinker on the bottom & 3 prerigged gold aberdeen #6 hooks with crawler(then i can cast with a second pole). I caught 2 crappie this year with this rig. Caught 2 triples this year. 1 with a small bass & 2 gills. 1 with 3 gills. Lot of fun! Going to use 2 poles & see if i can catch 2 triples at the same time. Going to try a new lake that is supposed to have black crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the board. I don't have much info to offer since I am a novice, but I have never had success with crappie using worms. Not to say it can't be done, I just haven't been able to produce.
    It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings.
    –Ann Landers

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If they any crappie around them nettle spins and minnow jigs aight to catch em. Get some blak and chartreuse bodies along with pink and chartreuse .
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

yes you can catch a crappie on a live worm and wax worms mill worms but a jig or a minnow tipped jig will out fish them 50 to 1 get you some minnows and fish around brush and stumps and trees docks beaver huts trees that have falling in the lake with jigs and minnows good luck
    team member

of the 2011 winners of the c.d.c. lake hartwell fall fest

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. Crappies will bite marabou jigs or soft plastic baits readily. Take a look in the jig tying forum and also the DIY plastics forum. There is a wealth of information there. I fish from the bank about 90% of the time. I know artificial work. There is also a stickie at the top of this main forum where members have posted knots and rig drawing ideas.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rockbassguy View Post
    Friend says crappie just like to feed on minnows not worms. I fish from shore. Do crappies come in to the shallows(5') to feed at night or in the morning when it is this hot? Caught a couple crappies with worms. I have berkley minnow swimbaits, beetle jigs, beetle spins, berkley maggots, minnow jigs, etc. I like to fish with a sinker on the bottom & 3 prerigged gold aberdeen #6 hooks with crawler(then i can cast with a second pole). I caught 2 crappie this year with this rig. Caught 2 triples this year. 1 with a small bass & 2 gills. 1 with 3 gills. Lot of fun! Going to use 2 poles & see if i can catch 2 triples at the same time. Going to try a new lake that is supposed to have black crappie.
    You might find some Crappie in the shallows, very early in the morning ... if you've got a blowdown coming off the bank, the water is not too clear, and the bank is shaded from the Sun for a few hours. Five feet is pretty shallow for this time of year ... but, that's speaking from experiences a bit further South than you !!
    I have caught Crappie on Meal Worms, but only a few. Never tried earthworms or nightcrawlers for Crappie. Live bait, other than minnows, is something I use for panfish "other than " Crappie.
    I have caught Black Crappie on a jighead with a crawfish shaped plastic body ... but, Black Crappie are the only Crappie species in that particular lake (so I don't know if that has any major bearing on your situation)

If I'm not mistaken, Black Crappie are more likely to bite on bugs & worms, than White Crappie are. I'm mostly a jig caster, and the stinger shad & tube bodies are what I'm using ... well over 90% of the time. Other than those plastics, I'm likely to be casting a 1/16oz marabou Roadrunner. For me, live bait for Crappie is mostly a Plan B situation (daytime), except when tightlining at night.

.... cp

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from GEORGIA.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you can catch crappie on worms, I've done it while bream (bluegill) fishing here in the south. I have also caught several crappie on crickets. I do think jigs or live minnows are better.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Leeches work too .... If you can keep the bream off of 'em...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Jigs and crappie nibbles work for me
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast