PDA

View Full Version : Don't like to use minnows. Will crappies bite on worms? What else?

rockbassguy
07-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Friend says crappie just like to feed on minnows not worms. I fish from shore. Do crappies come in to the shallows(5') to feed at night or in the morning when it is this hot? Caught a couple crappies with worms. I have berkley minnow swimbaits, beetle jigs, beetle spins, berkley maggots, minnow jigs, etc. I like to fish with a sinker on the bottom & 3 prerigged gold aberdeen #6 hooks with crawler(then i can cast with a second pole). I caught 2 crappie this year with this rig. Caught 2 triples this year. 1 with a small bass & 2 gills. 1 with 3 gills. Lot of fun! Going to use 2 poles & see if i can catch 2 triples at the same time. Going to try a new lake that is supposed to have black crappie.

TigerFanatic1
07-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Welcome to the board. I don't have much info to offer since I am a novice, but I have never had success with crappie using worms. Not to say it can't be done, I just haven't been able to produce.

Cray
07-21-2012, 03:34 PM
If they any crappie around them nettle spins and minnow jigs aight to catch em. Get some blak and chartreuse bodies along with pink and chartreuse .

Tracy Swanson
07-21-2012, 04:14 PM
yes you can catch a crappie on a live worm and wax worms mill worms but a jig or a minnow tipped jig will out fish them 50 to 1 get you some minnows and fish around brush and stumps and trees docks beaver huts trees that have falling in the lake with jigs and minnows good luck

shipahoy41
07-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Welcome from Alabama. Crappies will bite marabou jigs or soft plastic baits readily. Take a look in the jig tying forum and also the DIY plastics forum. There is a wealth of information there. I fish from the bank about 90% of the time. I know artificial work. There is also a stickie at the top of this main forum where members have posted knots and rig drawing ideas.

CrappiePappy
07-22-2012, 07:18 AM
Friend says crappie just like to feed on minnows not worms. I fish from shore. Do crappies come in to the shallows(5') to feed at night or in the morning when it is this hot? Caught a couple crappies with worms. I have berkley minnow swimbaits, beetle jigs, beetle spins, berkley maggots, minnow jigs, etc. I like to fish with a sinker on the bottom & 3 prerigged gold aberdeen #6 hooks with crawler(then i can cast with a second pole). I caught 2 crappie this year with this rig. Caught 2 triples this year. 1 with a small bass & 2 gills. 1 with 3 gills. Lot of fun! Going to use 2 poles & see if i can catch 2 triples at the same time. Going to try a new lake that is supposed to have black crappie.

You might find some Crappie in the shallows, very early in the morning ... if you've got a blowdown coming off the bank, the water is not too clear, and the bank is shaded from the Sun for a few hours. Five feet is pretty shallow for this time of year ... but, that's speaking from experiences a bit further South than you !!
I have caught Crappie on Meal Worms, but only a few. Never tried earthworms or nightcrawlers for Crappie. Live bait, other than minnows, is something I use for panfish "other than " Crappie.
I have caught Black Crappie on a jighead with a crawfish shaped plastic body ... but, Black Crappie are the only Crappie species in that particular lake :Doh: (so I don't know if that has any major bearing on your situation)

If I'm not mistaken, Black Crappie are more likely to bite on bugs & worms, than White Crappie are. I'm mostly a jig caster, and the stinger shad & tube bodies are what I'm using ... well over 90% of the time. Other than those plastics, I'm likely to be casting a 1/16oz marabou Roadrunner. For me, live bait for Crappie is mostly a Plan B situation (daytime), except when tightlining at night.

.... cp :cool:

gabowman
07-22-2012, 07:22 AM
Welcome from GEORGIA.

arkcrappie
07-22-2012, 08:13 AM
Yes, you can catch crappie on worms, I've done it while bream (bluegill) fishing here in the south. I have also caught several crappie on crickets. I do think jigs or live minnows are better.

rnvinc
07-22-2012, 09:21 AM
Leeches work too .... If you can keep the bream off of 'em...

Rickie

"G"
07-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Jigs and crappie nibbles work for me

gillblu
07-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Ive been fishing for a long time and have never caught a crappie on a worm of any sort. I have jigs and by far live minnows. IMHO, there is nothing like minnows. Minnows are simply the natural choice.

Spawn
07-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Jigs work but mabey find a dock or boat houses that may have water in the 10-15 range. They like it deep close. Do you know the place that you are fishing?

whiskerwhipper
07-24-2012, 11:01 PM
Type in Uncle Steve crappie on Youtube. He catches them by pulling worms under a cork right from the bank. I've caught crappies more often on plastic worms than real worms while fishing for green carp (cause the crappies originally stopped biting minnows). But tipping a jig with a meal worm or a piece of worm may heighten the chances a good bit.

CowCuber
07-26-2013, 10:05 AM
I always catch crappie on worms when I'm fishing for bluegill, I've never tried minnows so I'm not sure if they work better. Maybe you should try an octupus for bait JK tight lines man

Shoemoo
07-26-2013, 04:20 PM
There is a Cabela's store nearby and I've watched them feed their warmwater tank several times. They put in live goldfish and worms. The crappie are far more interested in the goldfish than the worms.

Biggest crappie I've ever seen was caught (unfortunately not by me) on a live whole nightcrawler, so they do bite worms occasionally. But if you don't want to use minnows, you'll probably have more success with lures like jigs and tiny cranks.

Tracker123
07-26-2013, 06:48 PM
Rockbassguy, how come you don't like to use minnows?

CrappiePappy
07-26-2013, 07:51 PM
Rockbassguy, how come you don't like to use minnows?

The original post is a year old, and the author only posted that one message ... so you may not get a response.

However, considering the info he gave in that post .. he's fishing from shore, he's using a 3hook rig with live bait (while casting with another pole), he's fishing during the "heat" ... I'd venture to say he doesn't like using minnows, simply because of the inconvenience they pose.

... cp :kewl

flfisherman
07-26-2013, 08:41 PM
99% of the crappie I catch are on grass shrimp,I no longer even get minnows.

elfros
07-27-2013, 03:57 PM
1/16 oz chartruse jig long line troll never touch a minnow again