Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New to crappie fishing

sirmo Guest

Default New to crappie fishing

I posted this under the main crappie fishing forum and someone suggested I post it here as well.....

Looking for some quick advice

I am in Jacksonville Fl fishing the Oklawaha river.

I'm kinda new at this (bass fisherman) and tried last weekend. Caught 4 using just minnows.

Wanting to incorporate some jigs in this weekends attempt.

I picked some up at wal-mart. Is it a good idea to put minnows on my jigs, or are the jigs to be fished alone.

Thanks for some advice!

Sirmo

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sirmo;
    I've seen where some guys do add minnows to their jigs.
    I believe it's more of an experimental thing. If one thing doesn't work well, then try another technique.
    In order to know the truth as to if a particular technique works or not, you'd have to know for sure that there are fish down there to begin with, then you'd know whether they like what you're presenting or not. What they turn on to this week might not necessarily work next week, got to be ready to try something different till you hit the hot one.
    Myself, last year I used minnows exclusively as they worked well and I had no reason to change up.
    This year, am still waiting for the bite to take off, been throwing everything out there with absolutely no bites.
    Have started hearing spotty reports of a few being caught (Central Fla).
    Heading to "East Lake Toho" (Kissimmie-south of Orlando) Sat morning, been dying all summer to get back to pulling in some slabs.
    Good luck to you !
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Hey Sirmo ...

The Local Paper said the slabs are biting in Lake Woodruff, which is the lake that this fish camp is located on ... great place to clean fish too ... check 'em out ... they have an "800" number too ... http://www.hpfishcamp.com/btm-tool.htm ... Chester

Post Thanks / Like

Default Central Florida.

Hey,
    Let us know how you do at TOHO.
    I am located in central Fl. on the Harris chain. Have not started fishing yet. Maybe next week.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sirmo
    I posted this under the main crappie fishing forum and someone suggested I post it here as well.....

Looking for some quick advice

I am in Jacksonville Fl fishing the Oklawaha river.

I'm kinda new at this (bass fisherman) and tried last weekend. Caught 4 using just minnows.

Wanting to incorporate some jigs in this weekends attempt.

I picked some up at wal-mart. Is it a good idea to put minnows on my jigs, or are the jigs to be fished alone.

Thanks for some advice!

Sirmo
    I recently watched a Bill Dance video about crappie fishing. One thing he stressed a lot was that an attracting scent should always be used. (If he would have been plugging a particular brand name I might have been sceptical) But he didn't, so I kind of took note to what he said. The scent defuses in the water and leaves a trail to the jig. He was using some type of spray on stuff. I guess the vibrations from the moving jig along with the smell would do the same thing as a minnow.
    I really can't say if this works but I am sure going to give it a try.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon
    I recently watched a Bill Dance video about crappie fishing. One thing he stressed a lot was that an attracting scent should always be used. (If he would have been plugging a particular brand name I might have been sceptical) But he didn't, so I kind of took note to what he said. The scent defuses in the water and leaves a trail to the jig. He was using some type of spray on stuff. I guess the vibrations from the moving jig along with the smell would do the same thing as a minnow.
    I really can't say if this works but I am sure going to give it a try.

I think the brand of scent Bill Dance uses is "Yum." It can be found in a spray and also in a liquid form for dipping jigs. I saw the same show, but didn't see him apply the scent, but I know he uses it, and he caught a cooler full.