Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pushing vs Pulling crankbaits

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pushing vs Pulling crankbaits

What's the advantages of pushing crankbaits vs pulling them?

Post Thanks / Like

Alot of folks here doing both, pushing on the front and pulling on the back. Only advantage I see is being able to turn quicker when pushing.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably "control" .... as in depth control, quicker/shorter turning radius, & staying in line with the tracking of the boats path.

The biggest "con" I can think of, is that pushing cranks is generally done with poles that place the cranks in front of what your depthfinder is seeing ... which could lead to more hang-ups, since your baits could be finding the brush BEFORE you saw it on the depthfinder.

really, since I'm not a crankbait pusher/puller to any great degree. Just postulating.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I pull 3 poles out each side and 2 out of the back. I have 4 ft separation between lines. I generally run the rear poles deeper than the side. I have had very few line tangles on turns..thanks for the responses

Post Thanks / Like

For those of us without a clue, can someone explain "pushing" a Crank? I could guess "pulling". And is it safe to assume a "Crank" is a crank bait? Instead of casting and reeling you are trolling?

Just trying to figure this out.

Post Thanks / Like

Pushing a crankbait...the poles are out in front of the boat similar to spider rigging. Pulling crankbaits...the poles are out the side and he back of the boat and different amounts of line are let out to make the crankbaits run at different depths...you are correct both methods are trolling.

Fall Flight Retrievers
    Ripley TN
    www.ffretrievers.com
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Great! Thanks.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

And when "pushing" ... a large weight is used on the line, above or below the crankbait, to keep the crank at a specific depth ... as well as keep it below the rod tip (+/-). Long rods are used to keep the weight/crank well out in front of the trolling motor prop !!

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I attempt to fish out of a kayak so a 7' rod is the longest I use. Even then it looks like a Cajun Fire Drill! Hooking a tree, lines tangled, getting caught in the gear bag... So far I can catch anything but fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Will say this, its funny how the pushed baits work and the pulled ones arent catching and vise versa. Kinda like last Saturday, my cousin took one side of the boat and I the other, it was forever before I caught a fish and he was very busy then it changed and I was the one catching em, just that way sometimes. Crappie is more fickled than a woman every thought about being.!!!!
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast