Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Night fishing from banks and docks (help!)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night fishing from banks and docks (help!)

Have gone twice and think i need alittle help. I have a good light and have had baitfish come everytime but im can only go to piers and boat docks. What would be better? The max depth i can find is about 13 FOW but i have caught a couple so i know they are there but can anybody tell me mabey how deep to fish in 13ft. (Its a flat near a channel) both boat dock and pier are close by. Any tips from any night fishing pros.

Thanks all-Spawn

Post Thanks / Like

if the drop off is close enough to the pier/dock, try that. The depth will vary daily, you'll have to play the "seek and ye shall find" game with 'em. If casting, then let the lure drop down to different depths until you find 'em, when you get a hit, then try and do it again at that depth via the count down method to reach a depth. If you're use floats, then you'll have to adjust the depth of the lure that way.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

start on the bottom and work your way up, im finding my best action here in NC @ around 25 to 30 fow, and hooking up @ around 10 fow, takes about till 10:30pm before the slabs show up, i setup right @ dusk.
    try a lighted float and cast farther,
    good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I found at night the fish are suspended around 10 fow close to a drop or channel to around 30 fow. look at a map of your home lake a find a place where the river channel and bank are withing casting distance( if your lake has this) and like already mentioned use the countdown method and a slow retrieve. once you get a hit you'll know how many feet(seconds) the fish are suspended at! Remember crappie feed up so they will be below the bait fish! good luck!
    Woman Love me, Fish fear me!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When I bank fish I usually have two rods with double rigs under a slip float. On my deep rod I set the slip float so the bottom jig is four feet off the bottom. On the other rod I set my bottom jig so it is five feet under the surface. That way I am fishing four different depths and can fine tune the presentations from there.

On my double jig rigs there is always another lure about a foot above the bottom jig. I can fish different depths with different colors or a jig and minnow set up.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You should be able to see the bait fish in your light ring. Cast your baits out a little bit out past the light ring. Do not set your baits any deeper than the bait fish are. Crappie feed up not down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep