Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: spider rigging in my yak

Post Thanks / Like

Default spider rigging in my yak

anyone ever set up a spider rig in their yak? my commander 120 seems like a perfect match for spider rigging. I have an accessory bar that has plenty of room for 2 sets and my fish finder. just curious if anyone has tried it or has a few pics of how they setup their rig. also im thinking about the My Crappie pro series to cut back on weight since its plastic and not metal. thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

I've read where some have trolled for crappie froma yak, but not sure about SR and have seen some pics on here of some yaks with 2- 4 rods out.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Scott of Hi Tek is working with me on my kayak and seeing if we can figure something out for just this type of deal. I'll post some pictures when he gets it finished and let you guys see what you think. Other than that I don't know if you've ever seen ditch basser's kayak, but if you looks through his posts you'll see some pictures of his kayak and how he rigs 5 rods with scotty mounts. Since his is in a SINK he mounts them around the cockpit and it works great. I know it works great because I've seen him wear out crappie 10 ft away when I couldn't buy a bite.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be watchin' for a post showin' what Scott of Hi Tek worked up for you. Mine is a SOT too. Thanks.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking about doing something a bit different for my SOT kayak. I don't like the idea of mounting a bunch of rod holders on my yak, so instead I am thinking about rigging two cross beams out if very light weight wood that would sit a few inches above my legs just within arm's reach. Then I could set a couple of rods down in front of me at various angles with the reel sitting between the two boards that are spaced about 6 inches apart. This would be a refinement to my current setup where I have one board mounted across the deck of the kayak which is already almost good enough for the spider rigging I do.

Another idea I am kicking around is to build a small custom U shaped kayak paddle for spider rigging. For starters I would probably make it out of light weight plywood for an easy prototype at least. The idea is to have a paddle under 15 ounces or so that still has just enough strength to nudge a kayak along up to about 1 mph. However, it would be designed to be paddled one handed or even 1/2 handed when both hands are handling a fish. The ends of the paddle would fork downwards so that a flick of the wrist would propel the boat backwards or forwards, or side to side, etc. Maybe this won't work out, but it seems I find myself with a fishing pole and paddle in the same hands at the same time enough that I'd benefit having "less paddle".

Post Thanks / Like

Tony;

post up some pics of what you've got going so far. I've read of people using ping pong paddles in place of the paddle in tight situations or just to control the yak when fighting a fish. Haven't tried it but its an idea.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Tony, I too am interested in seeing what you come up with re: spider riggin' with the plywood or whatever the final outcome is.
    Pictures are priceless.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

pretty interested in seeing what you come up with.

Post Thanks / Like

That does sound interesting. If you make it post how to pictures on the forum.

Thanks!

BamaMan

Post Thanks / Like

i'm spider rigged out of my Yak have 4 rod holders mounted on it . heres a pic or two Name:  041.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  36.6 KBName:  040.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  44.1 KB

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast