Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: new at crappie fishing

sirmo Guest

Default new at crappie fishing

Looking for some quick advice

I am in Jacksonville Fl fishing the Oklawaha river.

I'm kinda new at this (bass fisherman) and tried last weekend. Caught 4 using just minnows.

Wanting to incorporate some jigs in this weekends attempt.

I picked some up at wal-mart. Is it a good idea to put minnows on my jigs, or are the jigs to be fished alone.

Thanks for some advice!

Sirmo

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wecome to the board. I used to be stationed in Jax but don't remember that river. If it is stained (cypruss trees) like ours is up here, you will catch very few crappie with just a jig.
    Try different colors with a minnow until you find what they want. And even then, that can change with passing clouds. Check with the people at the Fla forum. I'm sure they would be glad to help. Catch a bunch!
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Tipping the jig with a minnow is a good thing. I also like to use the Chartruse Crappie nibbles that are sold under the Berkley Brand name at Wal-Mart or Dick's Sporting goods stores. The only downfall with fishing Crappie nibbles is when they get smashed in the boat carpet. They can become quite a mess. I like to lay a few out on my bow and let them dry out in the sun for about 30 minutes. Then they stay on the hook much better. They slowly dissolve and really help make the crappie bite. I don't go crappie fishing without them anymore.

I often will even add a chartruse crappie nibble to the hook when I have a minnow on the jig. I think that the color (Chartruese) helps the crappie find the bait in murkey and stained water.

Quote Originally Posted by sirmo
    Looking for some quick advice

I am in Jacksonville Fl fishing the Oklawaha river.

I'm kinda new at this (bass fisherman) and tried last weekend. Caught 4 using just minnows.

Wanting to incorporate some jigs in this weekends attempt.

I picked some up at wal-mart. Is it a good idea to put minnows on my jigs, or are the jigs to be fished alone.

Thanks for some advice!

Sirmo
    Regards,

Moose1am

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jax

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Wecome to the board. I used to be stationed in Jax but don't remember that river. If it is stained (cypruss trees) like ours is up here, you will catch very few crappie with just a jig.
    Try different colors with a minnow until you find what they want. And even then, that can change with passing clouds. Check with the people at the Fla forum. I'm sure they would be glad to help. Catch a bunch!
    I was at JAX NAS. Remember the St. Johns. It was like fishing the ocean when the wind was up. Gooooood fishing at Lake George and Lake Jessup if you venture south on the St. Johns River. Long haul from JAX though.

Cane Pole
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

sirmo Guest

Nice to hear from guys familiar with my waters.

Oklawaha is otherwise known as Rodman Reservoir. You may have heard of that place. Popular for big bass.

I am usually fishing the St. Johns, and love to fish George as well

Tight lines....

Sirmo