Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: fishing jiggin spoons in summer

Post Thanks / Like

Default fishing jiggin spoons in summer

Do any of you use jigging spoons (like the Kastmaster) to jig for crappie in summer months when they are deep? What weight spoons do you use? I bought some 1/8's & 1/16's but wondered if I should have bought some heavier spoons.

Is there a better time of year to use them, do you keep trebles or just use a single hook?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been several time actually after Yellow Bass and White Bass, but did catch some big crappie at one spot and every time we hit that exact spot (some brush there out in open water) we got crappie. We have been using some 1/2 Oz. spoof that look a lot like Cordell spoons, but we get these for a lot less cost. These big crappie had no trouble with this size and even the smaller Yellow Bass don't have trouble with this size.

Cabela's: Cotton Cordell C.C. Spoon

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

What was the best way you found to work it? When I was a boy, I remember just casting it out and bringing it back and catching some nice ones. Now I figure it's best to just tightline it and let it flutter down on the fall. Do you tip with anything? Skp, thanks for the response

Post Thanks / Like

Bronson,

I was wondering about you the other day, glad to see you on the board. Just this last weekend I was using a 5/8 jigging spoon for wallys and got into some crappies. I enjoy making and fishing spoons. I make 8 different ones with 5 of them being more "usable" for my applications. I prefer to tightline them myself, but on occasion have found the need to pitch them to be more productive. I rig them all of them with trebles but do have 1 that I'll use a swiash hook on for baiting wally's with the crawlers. I especially like them on a tandem rig on windy days. I'll put the jig above the spoon and it helps me stay up-n-down better. I think what I enjoy most about them is there "plainess" and I don't use up other plastics/bait and such. I have one I call the Banana spoon which resembles a Swedish Pimple that I do well with. Kastmasters are excellent choice also. They're super versatile for many species and easily obtainable. All of them right now are prime choices till the spawn next spring. I actually started pouring spoons before jigs and have a couple hand-cut molds I use. Give them a shot, they work. Thumbs Up
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Post Thanks / Like

Crappiedoc, thanks for the reply. Haven't been on the board but a couple of times the last few weeks. Haven't fished for crappie since early June. Been wanting to give a spoon a try around deep brush and bridge pilings. Your post was encouraging and hope to give it a try in the next few days when I will mostly be fishing for bass once it gets dark. I was thinking smaller but it looks like you and Skip have done well w/bigger spoons. Will definitely be giving them a try.

Saw a good show on Infisherman Critical Concepts about catching big bluegill with Kastmaster spoons in the summer time. Wanted to give that a try too. Love big bluegill which can be hard to come by. Thanks again for the help.