Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: adirondack weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Default adirondack weekend

went on a Christian mens weekend staying at "adirondack loj" some of us fished while others did some hiking.
    i took 3 guys fishing in my boat on lake flower at crnberry lake. we caught a nice bunch of of nice sunnies and perch.
    we kept a total of over 100 fish for a fish fry. i do have a question,......not one blugill are there no gills in the cranberry chain of lakes? also seems like great habitat for crappie, are there any in the shallows during the spring?
    icejohn
    Take a kid fishing start a new friendship with nature.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry IceJohn I dont fish the adirondacks but I've wondered myself what lakes hold what. I see in posts from another site and its all about trout, or seems to be. Where I do my summer fishing the perch are small and so are most of the crappies. The gills there are there but light in color. As for sunfish, i'm not sure if there is any.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EddieRod View Post
    Sorry IceJohn I dont fish the adirondacks but I've wondered myself what lakes hold what. I see in posts from another site and its all about trout, or seems to be. Where I do my summer fishing the perch are small and so are most of the crappies. The gills there are there but light in color. As for sunfish, i'm not sure if there is any.
    eddie, the lake ifished (flower lake) where we fished had some decent sunnies many 8-9" and the perch we kept were nice as well but i always wondered why no gills. where do you fish?
    icejohn

Post Thanks / Like

Hyde Lake ,Theresa NY Alot of fun with the crappie tonight and give is all year long. Except ice. havn't been there looking for them in the winter. Heading up there tonight to get some time in before it gets dark. I'll tell you, to get a crappie in that lake over 11'' is great but all are small for the most part... To many of them? not enough to eat? You got me on that one. and I have no idea where they go in the day time.? I'll hopefully post pics later, if I can from my phone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EddieRod View Post
    Hyde Lake ,Theresa NY Alot of fun with the crappie tonight and give is all year long. Except ice. havn't been there looking for them in the winter. Heading up there tonight to get some time in before it gets dark. I'll tell you, to get a crappie in that lake over 11'' is great but all are small for the most part... To many of them? not enough to eat? You got me on that one. and I have no idea where they go in the day time.? I'll hopefully post pics later, if I can from my phone.
    cool sounds good, have fun and good luck.
    icejohn

Post Thanks / Like

Crappies are pretty rare in Adirondack waters in general. Not a lot of lakes with the minnow population to sustain them, and not a lot of interest in introducing predators to compete with the trout populations. Life in the colder, clearer Adirondack lakes is much like life in the Adirondack forest - tough and sparse. The trout do well because of the relatively low temps, and the availability of insect life (you might have noticed the black fly and misquito population?) or a few minnow species for prey. There's plenty of places with warmwater species like bass and pike, yellow perch and pumpkinseeds, but I rarely ran across bluegill there in 20 years of fishing, nor much of a crappie population even in the warmer, shallower lakes.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the only places in the ADKs that you'll find crappie, are a few of the smaller shallow lakes where somebody at one time or another stocked them. We've rented a place on a small private lake every summer for the last 7 years, and I do well with crappie, but one of the guys that lives there year round tells me that they've only been in there for 9 or 10 years. When we camp at Cranberry and Limekiln, all I ever catch are sunnies and rock bass.