Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How often do you change the settings

Post Thanks / Like

Default How often do you change the settings

on your SI unit. Do you piddle with 'em constantly or leave 'em be? Big changes or minor ???
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on what I'm looking for. If I'm looking for brush, everything is set pretty close to middle ranges. If I look for fish on the brush, I will turn up the sensitivity and contrast on my HB SI to make the fish stand out more.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

muddy vs clear water settings anyone???

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keeferfish View Post
    muddy vs clear water settings anyone???
    I don't think muddy vs clear makes much difference. I believe this was asked in a Humminbird seminar I attended.

Sometimes along with the muddy, you'll have debris in the water and you may need to change some settings to help cope with that.

Normally, I will make small changes everytime I go. They usually are as follows.

1. Speed on the side imaging
    2. Color, sensitivity, and contrast depending on a specific return that I am trying to view. (if it makes the whole screen better, I'll leave it)
    3. Switchfire on or off depending on water depth.

Of course, if you do a software upgrade, it's punch the buttons until it makes you happy

If I am fishing with company, I'll spend more time messing with the settings and trying to put them on fish. I can do this with the side imaging at the back of the boat and run the trolling with the ipilot with the guest on the bow. If I'm alone, I'm fishing and not jacking with the sonar.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I think of my different settings as tools...just like a set of screwdrivers..(every screwdriver fits a different screw for a different task).....each of the different SI settings works well for certain things I want my unit to show me...and not so well for other things I want my unit to show me....

Frequency...I like the 800kHz for the clearer images...unless I want to see fish that are closer to the surface out to the sides and above the upper reach of the 800kHz 130° beam...then I use the 455kHz.

I like a medium Contrast (10-12) ....unless I'm using a different pallette than blue that needs a different Contrast setting...

I like "Sharpness" off...unless I want the fish to "pop out" on the screen....then I may raise the "Sharpness" accordingly...

I like a shorter "SI Range" (65-70ft left and right") to make structure look bigger...unless I'm looking for stakebeds in new water (I may set it out to 90-100ft just to cover more water)...

I like "SI Side" to "Both" (left and right)..unless I want to artificially make structure look bigger on the screen..(setting the SI Side to 1 side only...left or right... , in effect, "Zooms" that side's image)....

I use DI only for...well basically nothing... (because IMO the DI in the HB SI stinks)....I have all my DI views hidden...

I constantly change "SI Sensitivity" (in my "SI Enhance" popup menu)..this brightens and darkens the SI image as the image changes due to water depth, bottom composition, waterborne particles, etc......"SI Sensitivity" is my most frequently changed setting...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post

I use DI only for...well basically nothing... (because IMO the DI in the HB SI stinks)....I have all my DI views hidden...

Rickie
    I thought it was just me. I still have the DI turned on, but I haven't had much luck with it. Went to the lake this morning to dump some more stake beds before work. Tried to use the DI to see them and had no luck at all. I should have been able to get right on top of them with the buoy still out.