Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Twain island ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mark Twain island ?

Where is this island that the white bass are always by and also drum? There are several islands on the map. Would like to know which 1.

Post Thanks / Like

PP,

You in the mood for some drummies?

My guess would be the larger island below 107 bridge......but we catch just as many pulling points as we do around the islands.

U

Post Thanks / Like

Our fish catching has stunk lately. We need a change up or something. We like catching drum. Even the local conservation lake has been a bust lately. can't even catch stinking baby bass. Our best has been on the lower Osage river setting under a shade tree in a shallow riffle catching suckers & redhorse. Only stopped there because of shade. I am big on shade.

Post Thanks / Like

ya i think the island most peaple talk about is the one south of the 107 access, but I always wanted to know for sure, as well.
    Perch, you need to go to bps or where ever and buy some crank baits. and the next time your at twain or even port Hudson., and you cant catch a good crappie any other way, troll cranks. has saved the day for me more often than not.
    it's a real pain at port hudson, all you can do is go in a circle around the big part of the lake, staying clear of all the trees. but I have caught nice crappies there doing this. I just never have caught a lot of nice crappies there in one day. ever. what works really good there to just catch fish, is to go to the up-wind side of the main lake and drift across it with minnows about 6-10ft deep. out in the middle of no where you will catch bass, crappies, gills and channel cats.
    now twain, on the other hand, is really easy to troll. just pick a bluff and run along it, staying clear of any stickups. and since ya like drum, this is a really good way to catch them if ya pick a bluff where there are no stick ups and you can get right up on the rocks.
    hope this helps ya out sometime!

Post Thanks / Like

I know of two major islands- one is on Locust Point-just up from Robert Allen. Another is at the entrance of Indian Creek- right by the silo hunter/fisherman access. There are a couple saddle backs on the lake as well that can be islands depending on the water level.

Post Thanks / Like

We have cranks and have used them. Caught some crappie at Port Hudson on cranks this year. But you are right about only in the center of lake. To much structure and weeds now. The weeds are really bad right now. 2 years ago when Twain was 13 feet higher than it is now and clear which was strange we used cranks to get our limit of white bass and crappie. Caught some crappie on minners but some came on cranks. You catch a few at PH but not a lot at 1 time. Had trouble just catching tiny bass last trip.

Post Thanks / Like

What type of cranks are you trolling? I've never tried it before but willing to try something new. What colors, size, and other info you can give me would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieCoz View Post
    What type of cranks are you trolling? I've never tried it before but willing to try something new. What colors, size, and other info you can give me would be appreciated.
    I troll bandits and wiggle warts, but others work well. color depends on the day. for twain I like any thing and chartruse, pink, reds and of course whites for the white bass.
    read the sticky called "trolling cranks 101" on the mississippi board, thats what got me started. its a long thread but there is tons of good info in there. other than that just go buy some cranks and troll a bluff. it works good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieCoz View Post
    Careful................it's addddddddddddiiiiiiiiicting!!!!!!

I blame Greg (South Point).

U

Post Thanks / Like

Alright, I did it, I bought 14 Bandit 300's and am now set up to troll. I got tite-lock rod holders that clamp to my gunnel rails, 14,12, and 10 rods, but I don't have Okuma reels with counters. How do I know how much line to let out? Bugman told me to just cast them out back and hang on, what do you guys think? I thought about trying the bluffs just east of Robert Allen, you fellas had any luck there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast