Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Indian Trick

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Old Indian Trick

Thought I'd share this trick that my Grandpa showed me years ago. I must warn you if you have a weak stomach don't try this!

My Grandpa was 1/2 Native American and could catch Crappie like nobody I've ever seen. I have some great memories of fishing trips that he & I went on when I was just a young boy.

One day while on the way to a local lake here in far western Ky. Grandpa stopped on the side of the road, got out and picked up a road kill coon! I said "we ain't gonna eat that thing are we?" He replied "Naw". "What you gonna do with it?" I said. "Fish" he replied. I was totally confused.

We got to the lake, some of you may know it; Swan Pond they called it. Put his old john boat in, coon and all! We motored across the lake and stopped under a huge cypress. Grandpa grabbed a piece of bailing wire & proceeded to tie the coon up in the tree, then we went on our way and fished.

A few days later we returned to the cypress tree and OH MY GOD! The smell would knock you down. The flies had blown the coon and it was raining maggots. Grandpa snipped the wire and said "what you wait'n on?" Bait that hook & let's catch some fish!

We sat there in that one spot all day & I bet we had over 100 of the biggest, blackest Bluegill I've ever seen and some nice Crappie too. Grandpa told me that that's the way his daddy (a full blooded Native American) used to bait up a fish'n hole.

Like I said, its not for the faint of heart but I will asure you it will bring in the bulls!

Good luck and good fish'n! :D
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

justin.b Guest

ok im lost did yawll fish with the coon or did you sort of chum the water with it ?

Post Thanks / Like

Chum. The maggots from the ripie coon. Might not be to bad up wind. lol
    Today is a great day

Post Thanks / Like

Never have dragged road kill down to the lake, but unwanted fish work the same way. Back when we were young if we caught gar we would hang them from trees over the water. After the flies blew them then we would fish under them.
    It would make my day to watch someone on Survivor do this to catch fish. Sadly most folks on there almost starve. Kinda shows how out of touch most of the world is with survival instincts. :o
    Anyone want a bowl of Red Beans and Rice? Just fixed a big pot of it.
    Let Em' Land!

Post Thanks / Like

What we did was take any turtles that had died on our trotlines and string them from rear to head with a coat hanger, until the first time to see it I always wondered what coat hangers were doing in the boat. Then we would hang it on a tree limb and do the same as your road kill.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard of it before, but never tried it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cats

Cats work great!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shines Mullet Shak
    Cats work great!
    And dogs too. :D
    Let Em' Land!

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default dead chickens

A local farmer said we needed to do this with his dead chickens. I thought it sounded gross , I guess he did'nt just think it up .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Good tip. I'd try a can of dog / cat food or a can of sweet corn. Leave it out for a day or two in the summer. It will be full of maggots. Guess I am too much of a wimp to use roadkill. However when I see about people raising wax worms I know that there is an easier way LOL.

Maybe it is the history buff in me or the part Indian but I'd like to catch some fish one day using just the gear the Indians did.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast