Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A True Fish Story

Post Thanks / Like

Default A True Fish Story

My buddy Philip and I fished Reelfoot saturday morning. We had a great time and brought home 15 crappie and a 4 lb. catfish.
    On the way back to the ramp, We caught one more fish... well kinda. This fish actually jumped in the boat with us as we were heading in. Now we were running less than 10 mph at the time, but could you imagine running faster and getting hit by this thing! OUCH! The fish hit the outboard cowling when it jumped in knocking the fuel line off and then hit the back of my chair. I thought we had just tagged another one of the lakes many stumps, the whole boat shook.
    This is actually the second time that this has happened. We had fished a smaller lake last year and had the same thing happen, except that fish was probably about 8 or 10 lbs. As you can see, this fish was quiet a bit larger than that.
    I believe the fish is an Asian Carp or so called "flying Carp". I don't remember the correct name. I saw a story about them last year, but can't remember all the details. I believe they were accidently introduced into our waterways and have no enemies and have been destroying the fish habitat.
    Sure gave us something to talk about on the way home, at least i've got pictures to back up this fish story!
    Hope everyone had a great weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Paul -- Team Crappie Stalker

Post Thanks / Like

That sure saves on tackle and bait!

Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default you guys are lucky

good thing it didn't hit one o you guys, that thing could killafella, I've seen smaller shad jump in and over the boat at nite while in the shallows, swingin the Q-beam around but nuthn' like that monster

Post Thanks / Like

The Missouri River and the sloughs off it up here are full of them blasted things. I know a guy (posted it somewhere on here) that got two black eyes form one of them, lucky it was'nt worse. I read somewhere they make decent cut-bait, but never tried them. Ugly cusses ain't they...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

Wow now thats a fish story. With pictures to prove it was true. I have to agree with the others, that would hurt if it ya...

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

you got to be careful Paul fishing can be dangerous,lol
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

My brother had one jump up and hit him in the chest one day on the Mississippi River. they are worthless. don't throw them back if you catch one or if they catch you.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

That fish is the posterchild for invasive species. I'm glad we don't have them in our waters. From what I understand, you can't even fish for them as they are plankton feeders. If you could hook one and fight it, at least it would have some value.
    Last edited by Bowfin; 06-05-2006 at 09:11 AM.
    John 21:3
    Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.

And we act like this Nightstalking thing is new.

For some excitment, read the next verse. A special guest arrived, they filled their coolers and had a fish fry on the beach...in the morning. My kind of people.- Bowfin

Post Thanks / Like

I know guys on the Illinois River that carry garbage can lids for shields to protect themselves from jumping carp. And, bowhunters love to shoot them on the fly. From what I read in today's paper, they had a huge die off this week on the Illinois River and now the whole area smells like dead carp.
    Can you imagion reading someone's obituary, Joe was killed by a flying carp?

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had as many as 7 jump in the boat at one time on the Mississippi. They are the worst behind dikes and in chutes. The first time my wife went on the river with me, we had a 25 pounder catch a ride with us. Mrs. Speck was screaming histarically and I was laughing so hard, I had a hard time throwing it out. I got hit in the back another time by one that was at least 15 pounds, when it came over the back of the boat. Speck.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast