Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alert - Asian Carp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alert - Asian Carp

There has been news reports on this and some tournament directors are now starting to talking about it. If you have not heard of the Asian Carp problem WE have by now, it's not time to get educated. We joke and have fun a lot about the biggest fish and what we used and how we used it to get them but if we don't do our part as anglers to correct this problem, we won't have anything to talk about years down the road. Asian Carp is an invasive species that was brought in to control and keep clean farm fish ponds. That was okay until there was a flood that allowed them to swim from the pond to the rivers, lakes and other bodies of water. I conducted an interview with one of the most educated men on this issue named Darrell Van Vactor. Outside of the tournament world Darrell is involved in getting our government aware of this massive problem. I can tell you that they are already in Kentucky Lake. While pre-fishing for a tournament I saw a school of them in Blood River. Let's do our part and help spread the word and get those in government aware. Listen to the interview and pass this info on on facebook, twitter, text message, etc. Click link to hear the interview Interview with the Crappie USA President - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, they've been in Kentucky Lake for a while now as well as Reelfoot and others here in west Tennessee. There's evidence of these fish in the Mississippi River prior to 1990, so, unfortunately, this problem has been in the making for over 20 years. Another very real issue is that they can cause serious injury to people on the water as well as damage to gear. Paul had a bloody arm, a broken pole and the fuel line knocked off the outboard by one jumping into the boat and, we just saw kingkrappie's war wound on the chin! If you begin to hear the term "Kentucky Tuna" that's a new phrase that's been coined in an attempt at trying to make them more appealing for us to eat.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Post Thanks / Like

Let assume we get a big huge following and can get something done. What are the options other than draining the body of water which obviously isn't a very good option.

Post Thanks / Like

They'll spread forever = birds eating fish with eggs = takes a crap in your lake = you got em = forever ...........
    Even = just a matter of time before the great lakes become infested .............
    Got to create an new industry = Asian carp cat/dog food, etc, etc, etc..........
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully they will figure out something to stop them, at the this time nothing is working
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom309 View Post
    They'll spread forever = birds eating fish with eggs = takes a crap in your lake = you got em = forever ...........
    Even = just a matter of time before the great lakes become infested .............
    Got to create an new industry = Asian carp cat/dog food, etc, etc, etc..........
    So that's how those Crappie got into my toilet ??!!!! For a minute I thought they swam up the drain!!!! Seriously though , I've never heard of fish pollenating like that lol!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Netting seems to be the best answer because its been said the Chinese will take all we can give them. Also can be used for fertilize and catfood. Problem with netting may be hurting sportfish even though they say commercial fishermen can target a particular sized carp.

It has been said that supposedly some of our politcians were not too concerned when they heard about this. It may already be too late and if this is the case, our best days may already be behind us. Not sure some politicians wouldn't love to see us lose the fishery so there will less resistance when they one day will want to sell off the natural resources.

I just wish if there wasn't anything we could do, they would just tell us. Sorry, I'm venting but very disgusted with this situation and feel like our lakes may be damaged beyond repair in the near future.

If there is a biologist who can clear this up for us, it would be greatly appreciated. Right now, it looks like we are in an acceptance mode and we are going to wait and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

What I luv about this situation is yes, has been in the making for 20 plus years. Yet another case of our government taking care of other countries before our own.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skunked again View Post
    What I luv about this situation is yes, has been in the making for 20 plus years. Yet another case of our government taking care of other countries before our own.
    So they took all the Asian Carp out of Asia first?

As far as I can tell the govt mostly does whatever squeaks the most. These days it's whatever mainstream media is reporting on. Everyone has an opportunity to get out and vote, run for office, or if able, buy your own politician

BTW what do they call Asian Carp in Asia?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

OK Gang .... let's keep the politicizing out of the conversation, please. Otherwise, I'll have to move this thread to the Way Off Topic Forum.

... cp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast