Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Summer time locations vs. Winter time locations

Post Thanks / Like

Default Summer time locations vs. Winter time locations

This may be a silly question, but I've read alot about deep summertime locations for crappie and was wondering if they hang out here for the remainder of the summer and into the winter months. I know when the water cools off, that the fish come back to the shallower water, but when it gets cold, would they return to this summertime hangout since it is deep water. I just trying to get a wintertime plan so I can have places to find them in the cold months. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rollcaster View Post
    This may be a silly question, but I've read alot about deep summertime locations for crappie and was wondering if they hang out here for the remainder of the summer and into the winter months. I know when the water cools off, that the fish come back to the shallower water, but when it gets cold, would they return to this summertime hangout since it is deep water. I just trying to get a wintertime plan so I can have places to find them in the cold months. Thanks for any advice you can offer.
    I've found that Black Crappie seem to be the ones that come back into the coves/creeks, in the Fall ... following the Shad. The White Crappie seem to stay out in the main lake or deep creek channels. The Summertime Crappie seem to work their way out to the main channels & drops ... then later in the Summer they move out onto slightly shallower flats. But, in either case, once a thermocline has developed ... they won't stay below it. This is from observations on lakes in KY & TN.

But, even in the Summer months, I've caught them shallow, from daylight until the Sun gets on the spot ... usually around blowdowns on shaded banks. And I don't/haven't fished in the Winter months enough to give advice .. but, what few times I did fish in late Nov to Feb, I still found them to be around the blowdowns coming off the bank & into deep water, or around tops/brush in <20fow. Could have just been the different lakes & times I fished,

... cp