PDA

View Full Version : We Got A Few Last Night

skiptomylu
06-04-2006, 02:03 PM
Went last knight with my son on his pontoon and we got a nice mess. We started the night in pretty deep water on a creek edge, the creek was 37'-38' deep and most all our fish there were also pretty deep at about 20' down. Later moved to old standby (because the wind picked up in first spot) that is a bit shallower at about 31' in the creek over a brush pile on the edge in about 20'-24' fishing about 12'-14' down. Oh yeah, it was a minnow night for bait. Caught a bunch, don't know how many, but kept 25 Crappie and 2 Yellow Bass.
Here's a pic....

THE FISHERMANS EDGE
06-04-2006, 02:04 PM
GOOD JOB SKIP!!!!! When is the fry?????

skiptomylu
06-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Making some Crappie cakes tonight. Come on over, LOL!

smallmouthking
06-04-2006, 04:42 PM
You've got some good eatin' there. Tasty!

eddiebhome
06-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Lots of fun, I'm sure. Good to get out with family.

wrwest
06-04-2006, 10:45 PM
Looks like you had some fun, nice bunch of fish there.

steelguy
06-05-2006, 01:43 AM
nice lookin mess o crappie!!!:D

ShilohRed
06-05-2006, 03:24 PM
All that I can say is.. Man that is nice out at night and out of the hot sun. Catching fish.
I need to try that again.
How good is the crappie cakes?
Pete

hogpaw
06-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Nice Catch.

pstone
06-05-2006, 05:46 PM
Good job, I've gotta try that night fishin.

skiptomylu
06-06-2006, 05:22 AM
All that I can say is.. Man that is nice out at night and out of the hot sun. Catching fish.
I need to try that again.
How good is the crappie cakes?
Pete

We fish at night quite a bit once this time of year hits and other than that go for a few hours early in the AM before the sun starts to bake us.

The crappie cakes are excellent, however it's my own recipe that I use. Let me know if you want it to try. It make a very good alternate to frying crappie since I bake the crappie cakes.

ShilohRed
06-06-2006, 12:24 PM
We fish at night quite a bit once this time of year hits and other than that go for a few hours early in the AM before the sun starts to bake us.

The crappie cakes are excellent, however it's my own recipe that I use. Let me know if you want it to try. It make a very good alternate to frying crappie since I bake the crappie cakes.

I would love to try the baked crappie cakes. And I also know my heart doctor would love to eat them. He hates to hear that I had fried fish.
Pete

skiptomylu
06-06-2006, 07:07 PM
I would love to try the baked crappie cakes. And I also know my heart doctor would love to eat them. He hates to hear that I had fried fish.
Pete

Here you go........

Skip’s Crappie Cakes

T. = Tablespoon; t. = teaspoon; C. =cup

1 ½ # Crappie filets (or any mild tasting fish)
½ C. chopped onion
½ C. chopped celery
¾ C. Green onion (chopped small)
½ C. Fresh Parsley (chopped)
1 t. Heaping minced garlic
1 t. Dijon Mustard
¼ t. onion powder
¼ t. red pepper
1 t. salt
½ t. Seasoned Salt
1 t. black pepper
Pinch of Thyme, Organo & Cumin
3 T. Sweet Red Pepper (little more will not hurt) chopped fairly small
1/3 C. Mayo (no less maybe little more)
1 ½ t. Cajun seasoning or old bay (maybe a little more)
1 Egg
1 t. Worcestershire
¾ C. seasoned breadcrumbs
1 T. olive oil
Crab Boil for boiling fish.

Sauté onion, green onion, celery, red bell pepper and minced garlic in the olive oil until onions clear or all is soft.
Boil fish in crab boil just until done.

I like to combine all the wet ingredients in one place and combine the fish and all other stuff (including the vegetables) in a big bowl with the seasoning added and mixed in well, then add the wet to the big bowl and mix well.

Make patties about the size of the palm of your hand and ½” thick then place on pan sprayed with Pam and bake in over at 400 for 20-25 minutes. You can also pan fry or deep-fry if you wish. This should make about 12.

Serve with good red sauce or tarter sauce, or both!

duke
06-07-2006, 07:51 AM
skip - nice mess of fish! What part of the lake do you fish? I'm on the south end close to the dam. My son & family are coming in this weekend. Where can I catch some down towards the south end of the lake?

fish_detective
06-07-2006, 07:55 AM
Now that is some nice looking fish!!!

skiptomylu
06-07-2006, 09:55 AM
skip - nice mess of fish! What part of the lake do you fish? I'm on the south end close to the dam. My son & family are coming in this weekend. Where can I catch some down towards the south end of the lake?

I live on 6 Mile Creek near Hwy 87 and fish mostly from the main lake to Hwy 87 bridge and sometime on the West side of 87, but not often.

I just find or put in brush piles on the edges of creeks and fish there.

If you are near the dam, how close? The water is so deep where you are I would move just a little North to the Mill Creek area. I have not fished much at the extreme South end other than right at the dam, but have fished here from the dam to Boone's crossing since the lake opened. I think if you fish the water around the Mill Creek area. Find the creeks and find fish or bait hanging around that creek and that should work. Fish anywhere from about 10'-20' down, where ever you get bit.

duke
06-07-2006, 02:52 PM
skip...I'm not too sure where Mill Creek is. My camp is in the Buck Creek/Indian Creek area, in the Toledo Village/Tall Timbers area. We caught some last year in some of the edges of the creeks, but since the water level had been so low, I wasn't sure if the same areas would produce. Six mile Creek is somewhat north of my area, so I'll try and find some areas down here on the lower end. Thanks for the reply. I'll let you know if we do any good.
One more thing...my wife wants to know how small do you cut up the fillets for the crappie cakes? You didn't say in your recipe.