Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To You Guys That Pull

Post Thanks / Like

Default To You Guys That Pull

Crankbaits, took some pics of some (have a bunch more) of them and some other older baits that were mixed in with them. As you can see i used to Bass fish quite a bit before i came to my sences (still fish for them some). Would any of these work for trolling fo crappie, i've never tried it before. I here everyone mention Bandits, would some of the Shad Raps, Rebels and Bagley DB3s work. What do you think...izzy http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/izzysfishin/

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

izzy, I personally troll Bandits because thats the only crank bait I've ever used for crappie. However, I think anything that looks like a shad would work. I like the Bandits because you can stop the boat to bring in a fish and the rest of your cranks will just float to the top until you get under way again. I'd be happy to troll some with you at the October crappie camp if you're up to it. Speck

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a plan. I've got 2 of the 4 rod, rod holders but have'nt mounted them on the boat yet (can't decide where to put them yet). I think i'm gonna get 2 more bases and mount them in the back to try it. My problem is i don't have an auto pilot trolling motor, so i guess it's a two man deal or just a couple rods off the front of the boat where i can get at them. I'm clueless. trollin is all new to me. I got the rod holders to try some spider rigging and have'nt got around to that either...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

Smile trolling

Trolling is the only way I fish for crappie, through the years I have used most every crank I could beg,bum,borrow,steal or buy.lol Almost all of them caught varying amounts of fish, looks like a good selection, use them all, changing frequently so as to vary depth and color and speed, the fish will tell you which ones to keep. Personally while I catch a lot of fish on Bandits,I prefer Norman lures first, Cordell super spots then Bandits, Rebel is probably next. Biggest key is to have confidence, experiment with color depth and speed. Keep trolling you Will catch fish. possum1
    possum1
    Jack Mullins
    Psalms 46:1

Post Thanks / Like

I usually use Bandits. But last fall I used Rapala DT10's and Bomber fat A's and had pretty good results.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I sat up till about 4am this morning looking at vintage fishing lures on ebay and some other sites. I think i'll put all these away along with the rest in the shed (and not back in a trash bags like they were in) and go buy some new ones. Maybe in 10 more years i'll be rich, i allways thought a vintage lure was something 100 years old not 20 or 30...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

Exacalibur makes a Wee shad that has worked great for me. As for as others, Rebel and Bomber make crankbaits that troll fairly well. Wally Marshall has some too that has worked pretty well. If you do not have an autopilot trolling motor and want to run all the cranks out the bank then use you outboard, if it will idle slow enough.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

150 Merc. callshy, don't think i can get it down slow enough. It would probably load up too, i think. I don't like to fish alone anyway though. Was thinking of one in the back with the crankbaits, and one running the TM and watching the graph with a couple weighted rigs with jigs...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by izzysfishin
    I sat up till about 4am this morning looking at vintage fishing lures on ebay and some other sites. I think i'll put all these away along with the rest in the shed (and not back in a trash bags like they were in) and go buy some new ones. Maybe in 10 more years i'll be rich, i allways thought a vintage lure was something 100 years old not 20 or 30...izzy
    Man, if you are going to put them in the shed need to keep an eye on them so they don't rust up. Wish I had taken better care of all the old baits I use to have back in the 60's. However maybe rust is not a big issue where you are, but here it's bad and any metal that's not stainless will rust fast.

I have all my baits, even the bass baits that I am not using hardly at all now in the AC so they keep in good shape. Bet I have about 100 or more that have never even been taken out of their packages, LOL!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Point callshy

Quote Originally Posted by callshy
    Exacalibur makes a Wee shad that has worked great for me. As for as others, Rebel and Bomber make crankbaits that troll fairly well. Wally Marshall has some too that has worked pretty well. If you do not have an autopilot trolling motor and want to run all the cranks out the bank then use you outboard, if it will idle slow enough.
    I have also had lines tangle in my outboard prop if I'm using my trolling motor to pull cranks. I broke down and bought a trolling plate for my outboard and with it engaged, I can run as slow as I want. Usually I try to keep between 1.6 and 1.9 mph by GPS. When the plate isn't engaged, it makes a darn good hydrofoil.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast