Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pulling Cranks ....Pickwick

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pulling Cranks ....Pickwick

New to pulling cranks...been fishing yellow creek and around goat island in the morning with success. Have caught a few big slabs but have'nt come close to a limit. Water temp is 85 in the morning and peaking about 90 in the heat of the day. Seems I can't find the fish late in the day...I suspect they are headed to deeper water. Been pulling bandit 300s with 3 poles out each side and 2 out of the back. I was thinking about hitting the main river and fishing the channel drop off but have never done that before. Anyone had luck late n the day fishing around the main river channel? any help would be appreciated...thanks

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  15.5 KB
    Last edited by Fall Flight Retrievers; 07-14-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be interested to know if you do any good there myself. My plan was to end up there last Saturday while pulling cranks, but I didn't make it before the weekend crowd sent me packing to the ramp. I was out early though, haven't tried the evening with the summer crowd on the water.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Pickwick should be similar to Ky Lake where I do my trolling. This time of year I will try to find the deepest channel breaks in the cove mouths or the secondary channel and run as close to the break as I can without hanging up. Seems the points and cuts where there is a depth change are the targets. I seem to do pretty well in the late afternoon on these.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

play with speed and length of line out too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    Pickwick should be similar to Ky Lake where I do my trolling. This time of year I will try to find the deepest channel breaks in the cove mouths or the secondary channel and run as close to the break as I can without hanging up. Seems the points and cuts where there is a depth change are the targets. I seem to do pretty well in the late afternoon on these.
    CRoberts...thanks...being a rookie...how do I find the channel breaks...what do they look like on the lake topo or navionics maps...thanks

Fall Flight Retrievers
    Ripley TN
    www.ffretrievers.com
    [email protected]

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fall Flight Retrievers View Post
    CRoberts...thanks...being a rookie...how do I find the channel breaks...what do they look like on the lake topo or navionics maps...thanks
    Channel contour lines, that are closest together, indicate a sharp drop (break) in depth.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

thanks CP!

Fall Flight Retrievers
    Ripley TN
    www.ffretrievers.com
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fall Flight Retrievers View Post
    I'm a crank rookie myself, I've pulled cranks 1 time so far, without much success, but I learned some things doing it. I started out long lining curly tails and tube jigs with my dad, then we switched to side pulling around '86 or so. I've just recently started fishing again, and while I remember all the spots we fished, I seem to have not paid close attention to technique. I regret not fishing more with my dad after I got married, he had a lot of crappie knowledge in his head. I'm re-learning, but having a ball doing it.