Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kayak Fishermen Feedback Needed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kayak Fishermen Feedback Needed

Can you see the pros & cons of this unit?

Lowrance Debuts Kayak Scupper-Hole, Transducer-Mounting System

Name:  Lowrance kayak scupper mount.jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  32.4 KBName:  Lowrance Kayak scupper transducer mount.gif
Views: 1231
Size:  11.2 KB
    This transducer lists for $36.99 at Austin Kayak and is for sit-on-top kayaks and works with all Lowrance HDS Elite Mark
    and X-Series Lowrance Skimmer transducers. I checked with Mountain Sports and it will work on my WS Ride because
    the hull is configured so that the possiblilty of dragging the ground is almost a non issue. A limb might get next to it but
    there is a lot of protection because of the hull configuration. If anyone has knowledge (first hand or otherwise) I'd like
    to hear the pros and cons. Thanks for your input and thoughts.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

RRR- This is strictly something I'd read, but have zero experience with. I'd seen mentioned many times (while researching different aspects of Kayaks/Fishing/Rigging) that the scuppers are the weak link of any Kayak, and pretty much nothing should be placed into them outside of soft scupper plugs.

That, coupled with the fact of how well a transducer works simple stuck to the inside of the hull with Plumbers Putty, would have me spending $40 elsewhere.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

I've read some comments on other yak forums about the TD scupper installs, but don't remember any long term side effects from mounting the TD in the scupper holes. I have also read where people use the scupper holes to secure their yaks to their truck or trailer with a safety cable run thru the holes. Yeah, the yak is tied down, but the cable is not and will/should bounce around in the scupper hole while in transit. I've not read of anyone having damage but doesn't mean they haven't had damage either. One advantage to the scuppe hole install would be the water temp would work better, but the hull could become an obstruction in terms of signal return, depending on the install. I would assume you could fine tune the placement to some extent or try another scupper hole to get better performance. Be the guinea pig for us LOL.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm going to be the guinea pig here. I know many kayak carts are configured to fit into the scupper holes and when
    I purchased mine, I inquired about the structual integrity of the scupper hole as far as the kayak cart being designed to fit
    into the hole and so many kayakers use the scupper holes to tote their kayaks around. I purchased a Sea to Summit cart
    that has the rubber nubs that fit the scupper holes. You can see them sticking up through the scupper holes in this photo.
    Name:  WSRide.jpg
Views: 2499
Size:  86.6 KB

I'll stick the transducer in the scupper hole in front of my left or right foot and since it has direct contact with the water, shouldn't
    have issues with readings of any kind. I'm thinking I'll mount the unit in the drink holder that I won't use since my water will be next
    to my seat. I'll post photos when I get-r-done. May be a few days due to the extreme heat. Thanks for the input. Since I've never
    traveled this particular road before, I'm taking my time and trying to cover all the bases so I won't have to live with mistakes. Been
    told once you've had a ff/df, you won't ever look back. Now is the time to dive in and find out what I been missing. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

The cons of the transducer is that it doesn't fit some scuppers. It also hangs below the water, but that is not really a major concern for lake fisherman. Biggest draw back is having having the rigging stick out during transport (or removing it after each use). Scuppers are weakest where the upper and lower halves of the kayak are joined, the 'ducer hangs from above the joining line and is lightweight, it should not be an issue. A cart on the other does push/pull along the entire scupper and will bust a weak scupper joint area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NeonMoon View Post
    RRR- This is strictly something I'd read, but have zero experience with. I'd seen mentioned many times (while researching different aspects of Kayaks/Fishing/Rigging) that the scuppers are the weak link of any Kayak, and pretty much nothing should be placed into them outside of soft scupper plugs.
    Not knowing that I made a pvc anchor pole and have been placing it in a scupper hole. Works so good I would hate to stop using it, but if it's going to break my Jackson Cuda maybe I should.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I jumped in and this is the results so far. Tried to make it self explanatory. Stopped and wanted to see if all of this is clustered
    too close together and inteference might occur.......feedback welcome, before I go any further.
    Name:  #1.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  29.4 KBName:  #2.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  28.4 KBName:  #3.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  52.1 KBName:  #4.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  54.8 KBName:  #5.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  50.6 KB
    #1 image is the only image that concerns me, but I won't be dealing with kelp, rocks or shallow creeks that would
    be of concern. It's not like I'll be runnin' & gunnin' for fish. The cart comes off in the water and is installed prior to
    coming out of the water, so draggin' it is not a concern for me. Give me your feedback. Appreciate it.
    $145.00 tied up in the Lowrance X-4 and Lowrance Scupper Hole Mount. Cheap enough to give it a try.
    Last edited by RetiredRR; 07-14-2012 at 08:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome detail!

I too installed the X-4 on my kayak. So far, so good, thought I'm a little curious about some of the "fish id" readings when I'm on the move. There seems to be an abundance of fish at 1-2 feet at all times lol. I think I might need to revisit my battery location and/or transducer mount.

Two of the reasons I chose the X-4: 1) My Dad has had great luck with the X-51 (I think that's the model) on his bass boat and recommended a Lowrance when I asked him. 2) The ability to use this scupper mount if I needed to.

These pictures really help me out a lot, and I appreciate it greatly. I just don't think it will work out for me. I'm concerned about the lack of protection it would have on the bottom of my FB Angler 144 as well as the wiring for the TD being "exposed" on the boat. I'd have to remove it in order to load the kayak on my Trailblazer. You mentioned in your picture that the wire for the TD will go in a hole, but that's going to have to be a rather large hole to be able to fish the X-4's main plug through. That sort of hole exposed to the top side of the kayak makes me nervous. The one that will go underneath the mount for the unit is less worrisome as you can seal it with the mount itself.

Can't wait to see "finished" pictures and a review!

Post Thanks / Like

I found a hole cover that looked real good and clean, but the photo didn't download for me so it must have
    been copyrighted. If I can't find the hole cover, I'll make one that will keep water from getting in. Got an idea
    or two I'm tossing around. I appreciate your comments. Hope this post will help someone else jump in. I've
    found the STS works well for sealing holes around cables too.

Post Thanks / Like

RRR, something you may want to consider (not related to your FF) is replacing those zip-ties on your seat legs with angle brackets and bolts. They won't hold much weight if you lean, and will only get more brittle as time passes (UV).
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast