Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: blue river

Post Thanks / Like

Default blue river

I am trying to figure out crappie catching on the river...are they going to be looking for a place out of the current or are they accustomed to it...what about jigs...should I present more action or can I slow it down like I fish at the lake...I'm not really accustomed to river fishing so any help would be great....
    PASS IT ON-TAKE A KID ON YOUR NEXT OUTING

Post Thanks / Like

I don't crappie fish that river, but fish a few creeks off the Ohio. I catch fish pretty regular vertical jigging just the same as I would at any lake. The fish hold in laydowns, stumps, ledges, just like anywhere else. I have noticed, maybe just pure luck. But when finding crappie in a creek or river system, they will be stacked up pretty thick, and if you can catch one, there will be more to follow.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Never fished the Blue, but I've fished the Little Blue - awesome for smallies, but you have to do a lot of walkin' to get em.
    Roaming the banks of the Kankakee River and anywhere else fish might lurk.

Post Thanks / Like

if you can find some brush/tree tops in deeper water, it should hold crappie. use 1/8-1/16 jigs with your favorite plastic. some days you need to probe deep in the wood. other days they will suspend just out in fron over the channel. a little sent wont hurt either. the sent, sometimes makes a difference in your catch. yesterday they hit good in the morning, but in the evening we couldnt buy a bite. try early in he morning before it gets hot.

Post Thanks / Like

We have to many "Blue" rivers. One big blue and two little blues that I know of.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raporter View Post
    We have to many "Blue" rivers. One big blue and two little blues that I know of.
    funny thing is ain't none of em really that blue
    PASS IT ON-TAKE A KID ON YOUR NEXT OUTING