Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Which hit crankbaits better White or Black Crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which hit crankbaits better White or Black Crappie?

Have to admit, pulling crankbaits for crappie is not something that I have done much of, but have tried it a few times. Mostly without much success, but have caught a few on cranks. We have more black nose crappie (Black crappie) where I fish, than we have white crappie. I was thinking the white crappie bite crankbaits better than the black crappie do. Whats your opinion?

Post Thanks / Like

In our lake we have more white crappie than black and we always catch a lot more whites than blacks. More so when pulling cranks than when fishing jigs, we catch more blacks spider rigging but not more than whites just a higher % than when pulling. I think I read somewhere that blacks were more of an insect eater while whites were more of a minnow eater, but I don't know that for sure. So yes in MHO the blacks are less likely to hit a CB.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Trolling cranks is generally an open water technique, searching for suspended fish mainly. Black crappie tend to be more structure oriented than White's, so usually you will catch more whites.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking that the whites where the more aggressive toward cranks, and that may be a large part of the reason, we dont catch alot of crappie on cranks in southern middle tn. We have now a large population of black nose crappie and the whites are in much less numbers than the past.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feelay View Post
    Trolling cranks is generally an open water technique, searching for suspended fish mainly. Black crappie tend to be more structure oriented than White's, so usually you will catch more whites.
    X2

Whites also eat more shad and minnows than blacks
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

I never caught a black on a crank

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that the whites will hit cranks better. If you pull the cranks over or close to brush you do have a chance at the blacks but also a good chance at losing a crankbait.

Name:  crankbaits 028.jpg
Views: 4104
Size:  40.8 KB
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a much larger catch of blacks than whites here on KY Lake when long-lining or double-poling but most of the crappie we catch on Bandits are whites. The percentage of whites over blacks on cranks is probably 80/20.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Buddy you might wanna try trolling minnows above some deep cover were they are above the stucture or you can jig them above stucture. Minnows or jigs work. I catch more blacks on jigs near deep stumps or rocks