Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: minnow traps? gathering worms?

Post Thanks / Like

Red face minnow traps? gathering worms?

ok so i have a very small hand built minnow trap and i want to know how many people have had success with home built traps to gather minnows. im not sure if mine will work ut i can build one that is bigger if push comes to shove.

also it rained some yesterday and i went out to gather some worms and had no luck. is there something i can use to draw the worms from the ground faster? like a solution of some sort that i can pour onto the area to draw out the worms?

Post Thanks / Like

a piece of rebar and a rock stick rebar in ground scarp with rock

Post Thanks / Like

You pick up the worms after dark.

Post Thanks / Like

i might go out tonight since it rained pretty heavily earlier and see what i can find.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I give up on the worms. It hasn't rained enough to soak the ground an inch. I don't have rebar or anything like that.....is there something I can pour over a spot to draw the worms out? Like a bleach solution or something?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher_Girl_Kitti View Post
    Oh I give up on the worms. It hasn't rained enough to soak the ground an inch. I don't have rebar or anything like that.....is there something I can pour over a spot to draw the worms out? Like a bleach solution or something?
    You really wouldn't want to put anything on the ground that might kill the grass or contaminate the lawn (& eventually your water supply).

Manual methods used to cause worms to come to the surface, are vibrations & electrical shock. I don't recommend using electricity, since there's a good chance that the worms aren't the only ones that are going to get "shocked" !! Vibrations can be used, but they are limited in distance from the spot where you're causing them ... and they do work better in wet soil & dark conditions, since the worms can work their way to the surface easier in wet soil, and they're light sensitive. Basically, to create the vibrations needed, you drive a stick into the ground & rub another stick against it. Unfortunately, this may take quite some time to bring the worms up, and you'd need to cover quite a large area.

Catching nightcrawlers at night ... is best after a soaking rain (or after watering the yard) and well after dark. A flashlight that's not real bright, or has a red lense, is used to find the worms ... then a quick hand to grab them & gingerly pull them the rest of the way out of their hole. A container with damp soil and/or newspaper shreds can be used to keep them in ... and they'll stay alive for quite awhile if kept refrigerated, or in a cool & damp place. A top/cover over the container should keep them from exiting the container, but needs to have very small holes punched in it to allow air in.

I've also found worms & even nightcrawlers, in the parking lot & sidewalks of my apt complex, after a overnight rain. But, that requires being out there at daylight, since the Sun will drive them to find shelter under something (or back into the ground), before it kills them & dries them up (or the birds find them, first Rofl )

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really have that much Patience hehe. I could go down to the creek under the bridge and dig around there with a shovel. It's always wet down there. I also heard that using sweet water will draw the worms out as well.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher_Girl_Kitti View Post
    I don't really have that much Patience hehe. I could go down to the creek under the bridge and dig around there with a shovel. It's always wet down there. I also heard that using sweet water will draw the worms out as well.
    I will tell you this :

If you have a river close by, and the bank soil is a combination of sand, leaves, moist soil .... and you see many tiny holes in the ground, and little mounds of dirt balls around them ... those are not ant hill holes, they're worm holes. But, they're not "red" worms ... they're "green" worms. And they make great bait for sunfish & catfish. But, beware ... they're extra slimy, and they do have a serious odor to them Rofl

You could also tip over some semi-dried cow patties & find worms under them Rofl

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

i havent had the chance to get down to the creek lately. i think ill just stick with what i got for right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Lady cigar tree now has worms on them, capula worms spelled wrong but great bait, i raise mealworms by the thousands cheap and great bait

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast