Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Updating the boat trailer lights to LED.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Updating the boat trailer lights to LED.

Does anyone else have trouble with blowing regular filament trailer lights if left plugged in when backing the boat into the water? Well I do. So I'm upgrading to sealed LED lights. I don't see how this could be a bad thing. Is it? Thoughts?
    "I come from a state that raises corn, cotton, cockleburs and Democrats. Frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."- Willard Duncan Vandiver

Post Thanks / Like

just unplug 'em before you back the trailer in, been doing it for yrs.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I changed mine this spring. I unplugged for years, then you get in a hurry one time and boom, there goes your lights. No worries now, at least so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Buy marine grade bulbs. Normal automotive bulbs are not made to work in contact with water.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

I do it all the time when duck hunting. My fishing boat has sealed LEDs and its great, but 04:00 or so, thinking about getting to my spot, it's cold, the excitement etc., and at least half of the time I forget to unplug. At least the first half of the season, then it becomes part of the ritual of putting the plug in, taking off the straps, unplug the lights......

Harborfreight has a LED trailer light kit on sale right now for $39.99 which includes stop/tail/turn signal lights with licenseplate light and bracket, side marker lights, and 23' of split Y style harness. LED Trailer Light Kit - Includes Wiring & LED Trailer Lights

keeferfish is online now Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Never unplug and never had an issue.

Great now they'll blow?????

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll wonder why you didnt change 'em years ago. Trust me...it's worth the money spent.Thumbs Up

And while youre there go ahead and get a pair of those racket strap boat tie downs.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I found a pair on ebay for $34 or so including shipping.

My problem with unplugging is I would forget about 1/2 the time.
    "I come from a state that raises corn, cotton, cockleburs and Democrats. Frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."- Willard Duncan Vandiver

Post Thanks / Like

Go with the LED's and be done with it. The only way you should have any problems is if you back in to something and shatter one.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem. Switched to LED's and they've worked GREAT ever since.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff