Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Set me up for spider rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Set me up for spider rigging

So I've been reading a bunch on here, I've also done some searches(my searching skills need some help) but I'm as confused as ever so I'm going to ask for some help. Set me up from scratch with decent rod holders (4 for each side of the boat to start), the cheapest rod and reel set ups I can get away with, line and line weight, etc. I can upgrade the rods and reels along the way but for now, cheaper is better. I've seen several threads that talk about the best this or thebest that but haven't found one that is all about just getting started so if there is already one like this that isn't too outdated please link me there. Thanks in advance for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Boy you just opened a heck of a can of worms.
    I am gonna make one suggestion and then let em have at ya.
    Get in the boat with a couple of folks close to you and see what they do and how they are set up. Surely the folks in OK would be willing to do that for ya. Here in MS we do this quite often before we start rigging, you could fish with 10 different folks and they are gonna be set up a little different and have their reasons why. Just a thought. Grizzly Jigs has a heck of a deal on the pinacle rods, 4 for 60 bucks and they fish good for spider rigging or pulling cranks.
    Good luck to ya.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't go cheap. Go with less holders/rods and get the best you can afford. You can add to it as you can afford. Cheap will cost you in the long run.

Ask me how I know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RCC View Post
    Don't go cheap. Go with less holders/rods and get the best you can afford. You can add to it as you can afford. Cheap will cost you in the long run.

Ask me how I know.
    In all seriousness, i want to hear how you know? What was your experience? I have some very high dollar rods, I understand how rod quality can add touch and feel. I am not wrapping my head around how having 2 $80 rods with lines in the water is better than having 8 $20 rods with line in the water(16 baits vs 4 cover a lot more water)? Are the $15-20 rods that bad?

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

It is possible to start spider riggin with just buying rod holders and using the poles you already have...

Longer poles just make it easier to keeps the lines out of the TM and farther away from the boat to spook less fish...

I started with a miss-match of 4 spinning rig poles I already owned and laying them down on the deck...before I even built my rod holders...

Sure, it was a pain .... But it still caught fish...

As I built my spider riggin setup (1 piece at a time) along the way...I tried to keep every "spider riggin upgrade" with the mindset to never having to get out of my seat when my setup is actively fishing...

Rickie
    Last edited by rnvinc; 07-09-2012 at 01:11 PM.
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I will be the example for you . When i started a couple yrs . Ago i went as you are describing . From my experience you are better off with 4 reels/poles to keep cost down . If i was fishing solo (most of the time ) four are better to manipulate around tops . If they are biting 4 will be plenty . 8 will be a waste of bait . Depending on boat size i might have gone 5 , however the lakes i fish limit you to 3 (grenada ) 5 sardis,enid) . I do this after the spawn or actually when i can't catch them single poleing and a minnow is a must (for me) on all trolling trips . Between monks/grizzley they will beat everybodys price . I have a two pole drift master that works but was a poor choice( refer to going cheap ) . Go with an adjustable pole holder . As you will quickly find when you finaly get it adjusted for what height you want off the water you will change size of jigs, weights, wind will vary ect . I perfer 14 ft. Rods over twelve (personal choice ) yes they are a little more trouble to transport in my boat but worth the trouble . 16 tend to get you out of depth finder cone if you fish shallow water . There fore 14 are best suited for what i do most . So in the long run if you get serious about trolling is not cheap , only if you buy the gear once it's bad enough . Kind of like fram filters . "pay me now or pay me later"all this jmo . But made a lot of mistakes that i am still paying for . See instead of buying a rack to haul poles when travling i am looking for a trolling holder again ! Will move the driftmaster to rear to pull cranks at some point . Whew thats another 1000 , then side pulling and on and on . It doesn;t ever stop . War eagle made me some cleats to mount the two single driftmasters holders along with the double holder driftmaster is what i use trust me i regret everyday that i went cheap first .

Post Thanks / Like

Just buy a gill net. Lol
    "I'll live and die a fisherman."Calling John the Fisherman.."

Post Thanks / Like

It is amazing how many set-ups there are, still say get in the boat with someone or several different someones and see how they do it and what their set-up is. Have had someone help me a ton and I bought holders completely different from what he has, I pull more and felt these were better for my use, didnt hurt his feelings none and I can tell you the time in the boat with these guys is priceless. This site has some great folks, as good as it gets in my opinion.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

this is how i rigged mine from the get go and have been very pleased.

2-hi-tek stands, 4 holders on each. (get the new deep V series)
    6-pst143 BnM poles. (will add two more soon.)
    6-quatem low profile refur thumb release reels. 25 bucks from grizzley. (great reels for handling rod in one hand and net in the other.
    10# test viscious hi vise line.
    DEAD AS FRIED CHICKEN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast