Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Kansas Vegetation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kansas Vegetation

Craig,
    I have been getting into more walleye fishing this year. I know underwater weeds and vegetation is key to finding walleye a lot of the time.
    from my experience there is not a lot of the underwater vegetation. I read a report from kdwp that stated Kansas reservoirs and climate make this kind of growth difficult. Could you elaborate on this, and even give some examples if any of reservoirs that have some underwater vegetation. I live in Kansas City, so northeast Kansas is where I would be interested in.
    thank you

Edit. A lot of the boys up north key in on the weed beds of elodea for example. Does Kansas have much of this type of growth or something of the like.

Post Thanks / Like

Ryan - I ran into a lot of underwater vegetation fishing at Wilson Res. back in June, don't know the technical name for the vegetation but it seemed to just grow in about 8ft of water. Caught several fish smallmouth, walleye, etc. out of it if a fish took your lure before you snagged up a pile of weeds banghead.

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RyanLane View Post
    Craig,
    I have been getting into more walleye fishing this year. I know underwater weeds and vegetation is key to finding walleye a lot of the time.
    from my experience there is not a lot of the underwater vegetation. I read a report from kdwp that stated Kansas reservoirs and climate make this kind of growth difficult. Could you elaborate on this, and even give some examples if any of reservoirs that have some underwater vegetation. I live in Kansas City, so northeast Kansas is where I would be interested in.
    thank you

Edit. A lot of the boys up north key in on the weed beds of elodea for example. Does Kansas have much of this type of growth or something of the like.
    RyanLane,

Most Kansas walleye lakes are far too turbid to support submergent vegetation. Kansas walleye will relate more to breaks, humps, channels, old roads, timber, or other structure/habitat. Like fishingtim said, there are a few lakes in Kansas that will have some deeper vegetation in them but most of your more productive walleye lakes will be the larger federal reservoirs that mostly lack any type of submerged vegetation.

For an idea of walleye abundance in your neck of the woods, check out the walleye fishing forecast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishingtim View Post
    Ryan - I ran into a lot of underwater vegetation fishing at Wilson Res. back in June, don't know the technical name for the vegetation but it seemed to just grow in about 8ft of water. Caught several fish smallmouth, walleye, etc. out of it if a fish took your lure before you snagged up a pile of weeds banghead.

Yeah Tim there are some serious grassbeds in some parts of the lake. Back in the late 90's maybe 2000 KDWP and possibly another organization introduced some of these into the lake using "barges", and divers. They looked like sinkboxes or mats and they actually swam down and planted some acreage doing this. I watched them a couple different days, they were somewhat methodical in doing this. Some areas were successful, others it might have been areas adjacent to the plantings, but they did take hold. I believe the reason for the eight foot being the most consistent is primarily due to the last low water level, interestingly both levels coincide. Up in some of the coves this vegetation is growing back in, I sometimes wonder if the zebra mussels aren't hindering it's return by weighting down growing shoots. But these grassbeds provide a whole different environment and a more "northern" approach when fishing them. I haven't noticed them being species specific either because I've caught most of the lakes species in or around them. You are absolutely right in saying that they are frustrating for some who fish them, I've seen that myself.
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I do a lot of reading and so many of the "pros" speak about the underwater weeds being so important. I just never come across that kind of thing when I am out. Couple weeks ago we were catching some good eyes trolling in about 10' fow or so. Recently haven't been having as good of luck. Did catch a few early and shallow on the 4th. Wanting to get out this weekend. Was thinking Pomona or Melvern. Never been there and wanna give it a go.

crappieslinger is offline Moderator Kansas Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RyanLane View Post
    Thanks guys. I do a lot of reading and so many of the "pros" speak about the underwater weeds being so important. I just never come across that kind of thing when I am out. Couple weeks ago we were catching some good eyes trolling in about 10' fow or so. Recently haven't been having as good of luck. Did catch a few early and shallow on the 4th. Wanting to get out this weekend. Was thinking Pomona or Melvern. Never been there and wanna give it a go.
    I have not found much for vegetation in Pomona but we have been having really good luck at Pomona on the walleye. Not too many know that Pomona has a some big walleye but if you spend a little time at Pomona you will find them. I have my best luck in the Wolf Creek arm on the humps dragging either a jig and a worm or a spinner rig and a worm. Have not had a lot of success with either when using minnows.
    Don't Move a Mussel!! Clean, Drain and Dry EVERY TIME, ON EVERY BODY OF WATER!!