Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot summer, 2 aerators, ice and bait chemicals and dead bait – bait tank fails?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hot summer, 2 aerators, ice and bait chemicals and dead bait – bait tank fails?

How may of you guys use the Oxygen Edge oxygen injection system to keep your bait alive in the summer?

A friend uses this livewell oxygen injection system, it's the same one Ronnie Capps uses. I’m so sick, sick SICK of buying and catching bait and watching it belly up in the livewell. My live bait cost in dollars, time and throwing that net are high, it’s expensive when you add it all up. My friend laughs at me and says, “when I’m sick enough, for a few bucks, pure oxygen system will fix my problem.” OK, I'm sick of it!

Is your bait dieing real bad too now? Do you just catch or buy more bait too?

Post Thanks / Like

Fished yesterday with a buddy for the first time. We both always take minnows and yesterday was no exception. I to usually fight with keeping my minnows alive but not today. We put 3lbs of medium minnows in a trolling bucket and hung it over the side of the boat. Used a 4.25 gallon frabil bucket with aerator to keep the minnows in that we were using in the boat. We would put two large net fulls of minnows in each time we refilled. After adding minnows a couple of times we would change out the water. Had very few die on us out of the whole 3lbs and when we quit for the day we poured out the last 40-50 and they were as lively as when we started the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

What trolling bucket do you like?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Frabil personal bait station{the small one} we put 4 dz. in it. When the water was getting warm I put a frozen water bottle in it to cool it down. It was 104 yesterday and we only lost 3 minners.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the trolling bucket that we used was bought at wal-mart. Not sure of the brand but it was about an 8qt one with a locking lid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

A couple frozen twenty oz bottles every 2 hours or so with a good air pump and stone kept about 20 dozen alive for us In a 5 gallon insulated bucket in 100+ temps for periods of up to 8 hrs. We would lose a couple here and there. We might have lost a dozen all day

Post Thanks / Like

I like adding a small bit of weight in my bucket were it kinda tilts in the water so it doesnt sit on its side to me ot gets them more water

Post Thanks / Like

Don't throw those dead minnows away. They will work sometimes too. My trip to SD was a success using dead minnows. I used one live one and the rest went belly up. I was going to throw them away but decided to try one. We caught the biggest fish on those dead minnows. Especially if you are using a jig. Put one on the back of a jig or just fish them on a hook. Anything is worth a try when it is hot out. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the North Carolina Forum. My fishing partner has been a minnow serial killer lately. Oxygenator system has been killing them pretty quick. Seems to be some sort of issue with the salt from the bait store.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeap its me. Minnow serial killer from nc forum. Here's the link.

http://crappie.com/crappie/north-car...g-minnows.html

Did your ninnow bucket have alot of foam with the oxygen?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast