Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fish finders

Post Thanks / Like

Default fish finders

With crappie season hitting high gear I have been reading a lot of magazines on catching crappie. In the articles they say to use your fish finder to locate the fish. This may be in surprise areas that dont have classic structure. This also may explain some of the mystery of getting on these fish. What is a good reliable fish finder that will show you the fish? I dont have a lot of confidence in my eagle 1000c, and am about to buy one for the bow, anyone have fish finders dialed in?

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard alot of good things about lowrance, and koke's bottom line seems to work well and is very affordable

Post Thanks / Like

i know what you mean about a bad fish finder. i had a cheap little hummingbird on my old boat that i never trusted. so i got a 125x lowrance for the new boat. haven't tried it yet but it looks good.
    fishing isn't a sport, it's a way of life.
    a motto i live by :D
    go dawgs!!

Post Thanks / Like

So far Humminbird hasn't impressed me, but some people swear by them. I've used Bottomline and liked them. I now use a Lowrance x-135 and love the heck out of it and I have tested it many times with my underwater camera. With my brother's Humminbird ,I've found good structure at 25 feet with my camera that barely registered on the Humminbird. Maybe the newest Humminbird units are better, but I would be careful.

Post Thanks / Like

Go with a Lowrance. They are built by fishermen.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a X125 on the bow and really like it despite some fogging problems I had. But I think I got it fixed. I don't like using the little fishy symbols and the unit shows fish as long straight lines. I recently found out that when using it while using the trolling motor, the chart speed should be turned down to 75% to see more of an arch. Hope to try that out tomorrow.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I use an Eagle on the bow and a Lowrance GPS/Finder up on the console so I can cruise to find schools. The Eagle isn't good for anything but checking the depth lol. The Lowrance is great though. With the sens set around 69 you can clearly see fish and structure down to 80feet. I'd stick with Lowrance all the way.

scalecarp Guest

I was thinking about purchasing the Lowrance M56 (i think) with the built-in gps and fish finder. I think G.I. Joes had it on clearance about a couple months ago and it was completely sold out by the time I got there Anyway, I've heard good things about them and they are reasonably priced at around $300 depending on where you buy them...

Post Thanks / Like

Amen to what slab said about the eagle. Depth is about all I can trust mines good for.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I had an eagle to got rid of that crap, I run a bottom line in the bow and ont the console I Like the way they work and the way they cost.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast