Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Size Jighooks Do You Prefer in Your Heavier Jigheads?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What Size Jighooks Do You Prefer in Your Heavier Jigheads?

What size jighooks do you guys like to have in your jigheads? I personally think, whatever size you prefer, the hook size doesn't half to get bigger just because the weight of the head goes up.
    I do most all of my jig fishing with a 1/4 oz. jig that I buy from Kentucky Lake guide Ken Riddick. This is the only style and size he sales and it comes with an easily bendable #4 hook. If using a good quality 8 to 10 lb. test line you will get this jighead back 90% of the time. I like this weight for fishing 6 FOW on down to 20 FOW. It has a large surface area for the color to be seen and it's great for teaching newbes how to jig fish. They can feel everything that the jig comes in contact with and the "THUMP" is incredible! Go check out the website and give'em a try. I've always recieved my orders super fast too!

Crappie Jigs

CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Good looking jig heads for sure may try some out for walleye. I like my crappie heads at around 1/16 because I catch most of mine on the drop.
    New goal 16" crappie by December 30

Post Thanks / Like

I fish those heads in the winter time when I'm fishing deep beds (35 to 50ft). They get down quick and the smaller hook helps keep me from getting hung up as much.
    Fish like your hungry!

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabbandit View Post
    I perfer bigger #2 hooks. How many times you posted that photo?
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

david most time if i am jig pole fishin i use 1/16th and some times 1/24th !!! if i troll or spider rig with jigs i use 1/8th never seen a need for anything heavier!!!!!!
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MEATGETTER View Post
    david most time if i am jig pole fishin i use 1/16th and some times 1/24th !!! if i troll or spider rig with jigs i use 1/8th never seen a need for anything heavier!!!!!!
    Jerry, here we fish most of the time 8' and 1/8 gets down there. On Dardanelle in winter jiggin 25 to 40' I use 1/4.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

i hardly ever fish over 12ft most of the old oxbows i fish are not that deep !!! but i do have a bunch of nimrod specials in 1/8th oz. we will throw them in the water sunday morning and see what happens!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry, I was on a friends computer and didn't realize that I wasn't logged in to Crappie.com under my name. I understand using light weight jigs to control the fall as I use a 1/32 oz. under a fixed float in the early spring. I feel that in deeper water I can still control the fall by slowly lowering my 1/4 oz. jig into the structure without having to sacrifice any contact feeling with the jig. As far as the use of old pics go, I wasn't trying to say that I just caught this fish. It was just a good pic of a nice slab that I caught fishing deep with a 1/4 oz. Bighead Jig. Anyway, the point of my post was to get an idea on what size hooks guys prefer in their jigs regardless of weight.
    And thanks to "NIMROD" for policeing my every post to make sure that you get the most accurate information including how many limits he has caught while most people have to work for a living and can only occasionally fish!!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

David , don't take a little ribbin so bad. A guide should post lots of pictures often.

Post Thanks / Like

Great looking jigs, be great for minnows. Care to send me some? Lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast