Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Information

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Information

Hello! For those of you who use a kicker for a trolling motor, I have a few questions... What kind of area (shelves, rock ledges, etc.) is best suited for trolling crankbaits for crappies? What kind of speed should I maintain with the trolling motor. What size crankbaits seem to work best?

Thank you!

Andy

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea. I wanna know too. Also, how do I slow the kicker motor speed down?
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I use a kicker WITH my terrova and prefer to chriscross the river channel as we don't have a lot of rock ledges around here. As for speed 1.4 to 1.8 should be safe and Bandit 300's would make a great start.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Post Thanks / Like

When I ran a kicker on my walleye boat I would dump a drift sock out the back in order to slow it down enough to make speed. I prefer the Cabela's brand for their durability.

Post Thanks / Like

The kicker I have is an 8.8 hp and it barely shoves my boat along. Wide open I get about 3mph on the GPS. I am going out tomorrow and will see what kind of slower speeds I can maintain. As far as using your trolling motor with the kicker, are you using the trolling motor to steer mainly? Also, the place I am going tomorrow has a creek channel running through it with depths up to 20 feet. When I see fish on the fish finder, how do I know which ones might be crappie and therefore can judge how deep I need a crankbait to go??

Thanks!

Andy

Post Thanks / Like

Just average the depth that most fish are marking and try to troll right at the top of them. The amount of line out has more to do with running depth than speed but speed does have some effect.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Line diameter can greatly effect depth. They make an attachment to slow the gas kicker down if it idles too fast speed.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/The-H...h-All+Products
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

bandit 100's and 200's I like 2mph or less

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by titanxt View Post
    The kicker I have is an 8.8 hp and it barely shoves my boat along. Wide open I get about 3mph on the GPS. I am going out tomorrow and will see what kind of slower speeds I can maintain. As far as using your trolling motor with the kicker, are you using the trolling motor to steer mainly? Also, the place I am going tomorrow has a creek channel running through it with depths up to 20 feet. When I see fish on the fish finder, how do I know which ones might be crappie and therefore can judge how deep I need a crankbait to go??

Thanks!

Andy
    Yes I use the Terrova to steer with the auto pilot feature. Target the tops of the fish marked on the sonar with the amount of line you have out.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Post Thanks / Like

Andy, go to the Mississippi board they have a pulling cranks 101 that is the best information I have ever seen, anything you need to know is right there. That Major and that gang of fishermen are some sure enough crappie fishermen. they seem like a great group of men. People you would like to meet and fish with. They have put together a great forum on pulling crankbaits.

Phillip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast