Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shimano or Lews

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shimano or Lews

I'm new to crappie.com and have enjoyed reading the post on here. I need some reel help. I've done some searching on here for reels and I've narrowed it down to two reels. The Shimano Sienna 500 or Lews WMS50. Both reels are 29.99 and equal in weight but the Lews does have more ball bearings. I'm putting it on my 10' BBUL rod. Any opinions are welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

what specifically are you trying to cast?

Post Thanks / Like

Won't be casting. Vertical jigging and pitching jigs. I know any cheap reel would work for a line holder but I want something that operates smoothly and will last. I've always used Plueger baitcasters and I would like a Plueger President 6920 but I feel one of these cheaper reels will serve me well for the application.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My only opinion is to get a reel that weighs enough to balance your 10' BBUL ... even if that means getting something bigger than a 50/500 series reel !! You won't notice the difference in total weight, with a bigger/heavier reel, than you will with a tip heavy 10' rod !!

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

It's very hard to go wrong with a Shimano. Also, quality of ball bearings trumps the number. Shimano's bearings are top of the line.

Post Thanks / Like

You can't go wrong with a Shimano reel it's all I use. If you're where the reels are at take your rod with you and put the reels on it!!!!!!!! X2 with pappy on making sure it balances and putting the reels on the pole with tell you.

You also have to consider with a 500 series reel your only going to get 60 yards of 6 lb. test on it, for vertical fishing that's fine. You start pitching jigs and snag up and lose some line a few times, it's going to effect how the reel casts. As far as weight goes if you bump to the 1000 your only talking about 1.4 oz.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if the Lews WMS75 is bigger in body than the WMS50. I was told the 75 just had a larger spool and weighed .4oz more.

Post Thanks / Like

Lew's has 2 more ball bearings, I bought 2 and will warn you to strip the line that comes spooled on it and replace it. I'd buy the Lews (from Grizzly)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have the Lew's your looking at, but do have a speed spin. Its a nice reel, but I'd go with the Shimano. Its a lot smoother, as already mentioned, # of bearings doesn't always mean a smoother reel. I have 4 and 5 bearing Shimano's that smoother than 10 and 11 bearing reels I have.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Easy choice for me...Shimano
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast