Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jig pole question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig pole question.

I've been looking to pick up a few BnM jig poles and have a question. I've noticed on a couple occasions the advice to always use a dip net. Is this in reference to not loosing fish,or not breaking pole tips? I would think you can surely swing a Crappie over the side with a quality jig pole. Just curious. We never had or used the specific poles in years past, so please excuse the me if I seem silly. I'd hate to find out the hard way that you can break one not using a net. Thanks a bunch,Mindog.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Generally speaking, it's probably for both reasons. The longer the pole, the more severe the bend in the tip will be when lifting/swinging the fish over the side. That's usually a broken tip waiting to happen.

When they're thumpin your jig, you're probably gonna stick them pretty good (and probably deep in the mouth) ... so those times you might worry less about "losing" a fish, bringing them in --- but, when they're biting much lighter, or short striking, and you still stick them, they have a tendancy to be hooked in the lips or not hooked very good, and that's when getting a net under them will save most of them from getting off.

The weight of the fish vs the line test (& condition of it) is also a possible concern. I've seen partners of mine fight a good sized fish to the side of the boat, grab the line & start to lift the fish over the side ... only to hear the 4lb test line snap. I'm using the same line, catching the same size fish, and hand lifting them over the side, without breaking the line & losing the fish. The only difference was "HOW" the lift was done. Their lift was more of a hurried "I'm gonna lose him if I don't get him in quick" ... where mine was a more experienced slow/steady lift, not creating more "weight/pressure" against the line than what the line can handle. These were only ~2lb fish, but a quick lift against that weight was enough to add more than 2 more pounds of pressure (weight) against the line.

Nowadays I carry a net onboard ... but, since I don't use rods over 9' long, it's not one of the long handled ones.

... cp

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The net is really for both reasons. I have a Ego Reach net.....slides out to about 8 and a half ft. I very seldom use it though. I lose very few fish swinging them in and have never broke a rod tip. I do get the pole almost verticle before I lift and swing the fish in.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I swing fish in the boat all the time with jig poles. Fish that weigh close to a 1lb. and up, I'll lip or net.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 07-04-2012 at 09:59 AM.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I usually only net more aggressive fish like catfish, gar, and things of that nature to ensure I don't break my tip. I would probably net more often if I fished tourneys. Don't worry about silly questions, just see my posts for some of that. The way I see it, the only dumb question is the one not asked.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Grizzly Elite jig pole or my Browning. I regularly swing fish in the boat and don't worry about it. I personally never had good luck with B & M poles swinging fish in the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arkcrappie View Post
    I use a Grizzly Elite jig pole or my Browning. I regularly swing fish in the boat and don't worry about it. I personally never had good luck with B & M poles swinging fish in the boat.
    Was it a breakage problem,or just a backbone issue? I'm thinking about 3 of the BBUL rear seat and 3 of the BBUL forward reel seat rods from Grizzly Jig.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had the owner of BnM, Jack Wells, tell me that the BBUL was not designed for using 1/2 oz. double minnow rigs or swinging larger crappie into the boat. That's why it's called an Ultra Light. He said it was designed for the jig fisherman that likes using a single 1/32 oz to a 1/16 oz. jig and doing some ultra sensitive vertical jigging. He said to "always" use a dip net with this rod.
    If you're wanting a BnM rod that can with stand swinging larger crappie into the boat then go with the BGJP or the Capps and Coleman poles. I have used 11 and 12 foot BGJP"s for over 25 years and never had one break swinging a fish in. If they bounce around on the edge of a gunwale or a tailgate they will get a small crack and will break right there every time. Any body's pole will do that.
    Unless, you are very confident in swinging large crappie to the boat, I would recommend using a long handled net anyway as most of the time the hook hole has ripped plenty big for the hook to fall out with just the slightest release of pressure.

Good Luck,
    Dave
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Get a BNM brushcutter and jerk and lift all u want

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    TOO MANY IDIOTS TO FEW BULLETS

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, I think that's about the toughest one that they make.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast