Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catalpa worms/ tree care.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Catalpa worms/ tree care.

The catalpa sphinx overwinters as a pupa in the soil under or near trees infested the previous season. In spring, pupae work their way to the soil surface and moths begin to emerge shortly after host trees have leafed out. Time of moth emergence varies considerably by locality within the range and even from year to year in the same locality, depending on temperature and general weather conditions. Spring moth activity can be expected in most years from about mid April into early May. Moths mate and females lay eggs in masses on the undersurface of leaves. Masses may contain 100-1000 eggs (1). Eggs usually hatch in five to seven days (1); in normal years, hatch has usually occured and first-brood larvae are present by mid-May. Newly hatched caterpillars feed as a group skeletonizing areas of leaf, (Photo 9). Later, larvae separate and feed singly, consuming whole leaves except for stubs of midribs and large veins. Duration of the caterpillar stage varies but generally is about three weeks. Full-grown caterpillars enter the soil and pupate. New adults of summer generations emerge in about two weeks, but pupae of the last brood of the season overwinter in the soil and moths do not emerge until the following spring. The total length of the lifecycle is about six weeks. Three or four generations may occur in a single season, and caterpillars may be present into fall. Time of moth emergence and duration of developmental stages vary, consequently, generations often overlap and different life stages and caterpillars of different sizes may be present at the same time.
    Infestations of the catalpa sphinx occur sporadically; they come and go and often seem to be highly localized. Certain trees appear to be preferred and are attacked regularly while others of the same catalpa species seem to escape attack; the reason for this is unknown. Caterpillars may be abundant for one, two, or three years, then scarce for several. Natural enemies such as parasites and predators, take a heavy toll of eggs and larvae, and are largely responsible for maintaining populations at low levels. One of the most common and important parasites is a small wasp that attacks the larva. The female wasp deposits eggs through the skin of the caterpillar. Wasp larvae feed and develop inside, then emerge to the outside and spin conspicuous white, silken cocooons on the caterpillar skin, (Photo 10). Parasitized catalpa worms do not survive to adulthood.

When caterpillars are numerous, infested trees may be completely defoliated. Defoliated catalpas produce new leaves readily and trees usually refoliate promptly. However, with multiple generations occurring, new foliage maybe consumed by subsequent broods. Most trees survive but some dieback may occur. Severe defoliation over several consecutive years can cause death of trees. Multiple defoliations of nursery stock, (Photo 11), may adversely affect survival of young trees when transplanted.

The catalpa tree, with its broad, dense crown and showy flowers, is prized by many as a shade or ornamental tree. Catalpa worms can essentially destroy this ornamental value. In this circumstance, the catalpa sphinx is a destructive, unwanted pest. However, there is another viewpoint. As indicated previously, catalpa worms are prized for fish bait. To many fishermen their presence is welcomed, even encouraged. Catalpa foliage is the only food of the catalpaworm, and it is likely that many catalpa trees are planted and maintained as much or more for production of fish bait as for any other purpose. Whether the catalpa sphinx is destructive or beneficial is a matter of point of view.

Post Thanks / Like

The former owner of the place my uncle lives at started the trees. He lives close to Enid lake. The guy did all the research he could at the time, before computers. He left boxes of supplies in the barn to be used around the trees. A few notes that I will list for him.
    60 Trees planted 03/10/0??0. Most trees are at 2" diameter at waist height. 10/25/0??0. Cut all trees at waist height 1/15/0??0. In spring they bunch out like a spider rig. In spring covered ground around trees with manure and sawdust. Now commercial fertilize can be used around trees. No commercial pesticides or other chemical products can be used.
    01/10/0??0, pruned trees at base of limbs.
    Insect control:
    Black wasp, he left 60 wasp traps with recipe. 1 cup orange juice, 1 cup sugar, 1 quart water. Keep traps cleaned and filled once per week. We found Fly Stick Junior works as good. We buy 2 cases of 24 each at a time. I'll enter seller later.
    Ants, find mound and pour a cup of gas on it. We haven't found anything better.
    Moles, ground traps. We found the solar powered mole chaser work great.
    Other digging animals, shotgun.
    Birds, plastic owls and rubber snakes.

For the best production of worms we have found that a pruning of limbs in mid jan. is a start. Keeping commercial chemicals away from trees is a must. Controlling animals is a must.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    Slab Masters Tournament Trail ............... www.slabmasterstournamenttrail.net

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information. I have seven trees in pots that I raised from sprouts this year. I plan on putting them out next month so I can have worms in a few years to fish with.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Plant the Umbrella Catalpa instead of the Northern or Southern variety because it stays small with many trunks covered with leavers. I have seen trees rooted from limbs off of original tree my neighbor has.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

How many years does it normally take to know if you will have a successful infestation? And, is there a method for improving the likelihood of getting the catalpa sphinx moth to visit? My trees have now been in the ground for three years and are 10-12' tall. I planted these trees to hopefully harvest catepillars. The trees I planted were harvested as sprouts from a friends trees. I do not use any poison/insecticide near the trees and I use black kow around the base. My friend lives about 20 miles away and has plenty of catepillars each year. I do watch a couple of wild trees nearby and have not seen catalpa worms on them.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Spaceman,

Get a bunch of worms from your friend and inoculate your own trees. Why wait? Do it early in the first brood and you should see new worms by mid summer, if they take. If not you can re-inoculate that same year. Somewhere in that first year they should get established. Adults drink flower nectar and it may help to plant the types of flowers they prefer, which I don't know. Someone else here may be able to provide that.

One question: Is there aerial spraying of crops or possible for mosquito control anywhere around you? If so, you might have a problem site. Aerial spray drifts even more than conventional spray applications do. A number of the sphinx moths are important agricultural pests such as the tobacco and the tomato hornworms which are close relatives.

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks no1son1. I will try to get some starter worms in the spring from my friend. To answer your question, our city does mosquito spraying in the summer. I didn't even think about that. This may be the reason I am not seeing Catalpa worms on the trees nearby. I hope this is not going to be a problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast