Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lake Isabella

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Isabella

Any one fish crappie on Isabella. Grew up on that lake 40 or so years ago. Lots of crappie around the trees on the east end back then. Trees are probably gone now. Used to tie up to a tree and use a gogetter. They are probably gone now too. If I ever get back down that way, Id like to give it a try just once more.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Duck
    Any one fish crappie on Isabella. Grew up on that lake 40 or so years ago. Lots of crappie around the trees on the east end back then. Trees are probably gone now. Used to tie up to a tree and use a gogetter. They are probably gone now too. If I ever get back down that way, Id like to give it a try just once more.......
    The trees and brush are still there and so are the crappie. Nice size fish (1-2#) the last few years.

Post Thanks / Like

Gogetter, now that is a lure I haven't seen in a while. Did you use the white tail or the yellow.

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

We used either yellow & white or red and white. The red and white were my favorite. Wonder why they quit making them. Best thing going as I remember. Id like to find some and try them again....

Post Thanks / Like

Default no crappie this year

HAVE FISHED THERE SINCE MARCH THIS YEAR. NO CRAPPIE JUST BLUEGILL CATS & trout. LAST YEAR IT WAS GREAT, THEN IN AUGUST THERE WERE DEAD CRAPPIE ALL OVER THE LAKE. CALL ED AT THE BAIT SHOP.
    BIG EDS BAIT & TACKEL 1760-3794170

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Blue Duck,
    I was lookin on ebay and found some go-getters. I bought a bunch, a 72 to be exact. Are you interested in any? White, Yellow, and Red and White, some of the red and white ones have faded to kinda pink and white. I have 24 of each color. They are new/old stock. I had to buy the whole lot. Any why I am itching to give them a try again after all these years.

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

pwbuilding,
    Any follow-ups as to the reason for all the dead crappie?
    ....lee s.

Post Thanks / Like

i heard it was because of a hugh algea explosion in the lake. thats all i heard.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Wrwest ........ Id like to give them a try also..... Ill bet they work just like they always did. Ill send you a pm.

Isabella Drifter Guest

From what I understand the crappie cycle is off this year and it may remain like that for a few years. The bite was right on for the past three years, but virtually nothing this year. The algae was the blue-green variety that is toxic to fish, dogs, cows, etc. When the water level dropped last fall there was literally thousands of dead crappie around the lake along with some other species of fish and birds. It was hard to keep my dog from crunching on the sun dried fish. When fishing is slow, I like to use the time to work the pup on retreiving skills. Been looking for a good local crappie bite. Would like to go to Lopez or Santa Margarita, but I'll be heading up to the eastern Sierra this week for some slimys instead.