Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: question about kayak stability vs canoe stability

Post Thanks / Like

Default question about kayak stability vs canoe stability

I have been sort of toying with the idea of purchasing a sit on top kayak. I know I would have to test them out and such and get one that would feel okay to me and make me comfortable on the water. I can remember a few years back going out in a old town canoe and it just felt shaky the whole time I was in it. Do you guys feel shaky at all in your kayaks or is it just kind of something you have to get used to? I am a big guy 6'1" 280 and I want something thats going to be really stable to fish lakes that are trolling motor only mostly. I just want something I can put in the back of my truck bed and head to the water not having to worry about charging a trolling motor and such. What are your thoughts on stability of kayaks? I'm sure this is kind of a stupid question but hopefully I will get a little insight.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a newb on yaks, I've had one for 2 months. Initially, a yak feels really weird when you're used to a boat, and feel unstable but you soon get over that rather quickly. The 1st time I was in a yak was a sit in, and a short one at that, 10'. If I wiggled my butt the whole yak would move around, but its a good thing to do IMO as you instantly get a feel for what the yak will do. Within 5 minutes, I was comfortable with that yak and was paddling around having fun. I did not do any fishing then. I paddled around in calm water for about an hour or more and felt completely comfortable when done. We then went out into the main channel of a slow river and I was comfy there as well. I never felt like I was going to tip or turn over, never even came close to doing by accident either. Now, yes you can flip over, but you'll sense it well before it happens unless a big wave catches you by surprise. I decided then I was going to get one, and had researched on line. I went to a outdoors store and sat in a couple, liked a WS Tarpon 10 which is a sit on top. I ended up with a WS Pungo 120 (Sit in) but can rig it out for fishing as well.

Try and finds some stores that have yaks in house, and sit in 'em. You will know within 5 minutes if you're gonna like it or dis-like that particular model. After that, you need to go to some demo days, lots of shops have 'em and you can try out different models and makes. Narrow it down to a couple, and then go for it. Google can help you finds some stores with demo days,
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll take every opportunity I have to show my kayak. Have had several over the years and this is
    the second WS Ride 135 and wouldn't purchase anything else. Stability for a 70 year old fisherman
    is imperative. I rig my own and enjoy riggin' & fishin' from my kayak. To each his own, but canoes
    do not give me the stability I enjoy with my kayak.
    Name:  WSRidefore.jpg
Views: 8399
Size:  68.4 KBName:  WSRide.jpg
Views: 3969
Size:  86.6 KBName:  2012WSRide.jpg
Views: 2231
Size:  24.7 KB
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Just depends on the design. Some canoes have lots of stability as do some kayaks. At 5'11" and 230 lb I could not stand for very long in my Old Town 119k canoe but can in my Dagger Reflection 14 (but not fish standing up). My Jackson Coosa kayak allows me to stand and fish. I could also stand in my old Native Ultimate 12, but not fish while standing.

The lower the seat, the more stability. However I like to sit more in a chair like position (especially if I am going to try and stand to fish). Also the shape of the hull (ie pontoon or multiple chines) also helps with stability. As does width (and a little bit with extra length).

There are trade offs though. Too much stability makes for a hard to paddle boat.

Appomattox Canoe and Kayak has several demo days each year. I don't know where you are in VA, but they have a couple stores (Appomattox, Richmond, and one other I believe). I would try and get to one of their events and float as many different canoes and kayaks as possible. You can tell alot more from floating in one yourself than someone else can on the internet.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 kayaks, a 12' Precision Pescador Sport (Which looks almost identical to the ride 135) and I also have an Ultimate 14.5. I have actually stood up in the Ultimate and gone through very light rapids (did I say very light?). None the less, both are very stable. Much more so than a canoe.

JMO

Post Thanks / Like

So far, I can still stand and fly fish from the WS Ride, and the 2012 is fast enough for me.
    Testing both the canoe and sit on top kayak is recommended. I've been watchin' a long
    time, and no two fishermen fish the exact same way.
    Rofl
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"