Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Motor Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Motor Question

I have an older model minne kota trolling motor. I had some wires on the motor foot pedal that burned. I took it to a boat shop they replaced the wires. The mechanic said I needed to run heavier wire fromt the battery to the motor. My boat was wired with number 10 wire fromt the batter to the motor, he said to run at least a number six.

While this may seem a simple enough solution the number 6 wire in 25 feet runs over 50 dollars. I personally doubt this is the problem. My motor has number 10 wire so I wonder why number 10 wire isn't a big enough wire to deliber it to the motor. Also I have seen other boats wired with number 10 wire and they have no problems.

When at a NAPA store checking wire prices a guy there told me to throw the motor away that I am risking burning my boat up. He said once a problem occurs within the motor (and there is a problem there otherwise I wouldn't of burned the wires) it basically cant be fixed.

I hope someone can help me. I am reluctant to spend over 50 dollars for this heavy wire that may not help and I am even more reluctant to throw a trolling motor away that is still working.

Thanks for your time in reading this post,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

I cant help you gone fishin but i'm sure someone on here can but while we're on the subject of trolling motor repair i have a motor guide model 750 with a broken steering cable anyone know where i can get a new one?i have done a little lookin and have not found one yet.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Motor

25 ft is a long way to run trolling motor wiring. I've always used #8. If you do do re-wire make sure you put a circuit breaker or fuse and if there is a problem as man said you won't catch your boat on fire. I had the same problem on a boat one time kept blowing fuses and larger wire helped it. Hope this helps.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The longer the wire, the higher the resistance. Higher resistance results in higher amperage. If the wire isn't heavy enough to handle it, something is going to burn. Those older TM's draw a lot more current than the newer ones so they require heavier wire. Even if you went to a new TM, I would replace the wire considering the distance, Unless you went with a 24V system as they require less amperage than a 12V.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

the longer the wire the heavier . a bad conection will cut the amount of power that is going to your motor . to find a bad conection or a wire that is to small .the conection will git warm . the wire will to if it is to small . a scircut breaker is the way to go.
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

The reason #10 wire is on the trolling motor is because it's a short run. The longer the wire, the bigger it needs to be because of the voltage drop. If this is a new installation, it may need the larger size wire. #10 wire is good for about 30 amps and needs a breaker or fuse rated for this amount to protect the wire at the closest point to the battery. If this is whats been working for a long time and now is only having problems, then the problem may be elsewhere. A loose or bad connection will cause heat at the connection. If you had run the motor at high speed for a lenghtly time, this could cause the connection to heat up because of the high current. Find a friend with a current meter and check the motor current at different speeds and this will tell you if there is a problem with the motor. Also if you have already got a fuse on the wire and it has not been blowing, then I would guess that the problem was in the connection. Make sure the connection is tight and use an electrical grease on it to help prevent oxidation and corrosion. This is a common problem on boats. I hope this helps,

Post Thanks / Like

Bugman,

Call Tristate Trolling motor, they are in Florissant, MO their number is 314-921-7292. I am not completely sure if they ship but they do good work.

Post Thanks / Like

10 GA wire is good only for short distance. With the voltage drop at 25 feet, it will have to draw too much to keep up at higher speeds. The wires will get warm. Even if you get a new motor, you should replace with at least 8 ga wire. 6 ga would be better. And you should also fuse it.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a bunch for all your help. I misled you all to thinking I was running the wires 25 ft that was the amount of wire that comes in the roll. My boat is a 15 ft so I may need to run a little more than that but not much. I am going to go rewire the trolling motor and put a 30 amp fuse on it. There is now some kind of contraption that a boat mechanic put on it its kind of square and is right next to the battery but I don't think thats a fuse. I need to check that out it too.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gone_fishing
    Thanks a bunch for all your help. I misled you all to thinking I was running the wires 25 ft that was the amount of wire that comes in the roll. My boat is a 15 ft so I may need to run a little more than that but not much. I am going to go rewire the trolling motor and put a 30 amp fuse on it. There is now some kind of contraption that a boat mechanic put on it its kind of square and is right next to the battery but I don't think thats a fuse. I need to check that out it too.
    It could be a circuit breaker. Does it look something like this? http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast