Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: rod holder pleacment spider rig

Post Thanks / Like

Default rod holder pleacment spider rig

I have a double driftmaster set up on my big boat and it works great. I just ordered some more bases to put in my smaller pond boat but am running into what may not even be an issue, but thought I'd ask.

Being as the pond boat is a smaller 14x48 that i front end heavy enough with just me on it, I dont want to get two guys on the front deck. This is making me mount the rod holders on the floor at the edge of the front deck. then two guys can sit there on the floor and not be too far forward. The deck is about 42" long. I have 14' rods for spider rigging. Other than losing 4' of reach, am I asking for other issues? I really cant SEE any, but Im not as "all seeing" as I sometimes think I am. lol

Post Thanks / Like

is there room to mount some on/near the transom so one is up front and one in the back ?
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    is there room to mount some on/near the transom so one is up front and one in the back ?
    Yes. But I was under the impression the guy n the front would get most of the action. Especially in structure oriented conditions. We fish lots of piles and stake beds. No?

Post Thanks / Like

if im understanding you correctly, you will be in the middle of the boat (lower than the front deck?) if so i would be curious how lifting fish and dropping lines in and what not would work considering youll be that much lower than normal. also, idk where your depth finder is mounted or what your TM set up is but what im getting at is, anything you use or are used to being next to in the front of the boat would also have to be moved back as well. Maybe its just me being OCD about where i like my stuff. just some thoughts, not trying to rain on your parade...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mo dock boy View Post
    if im understanding you correctly, you will be in the middle of the boat (lower than the front deck?) if so i would be curious how lifting fish and dropping lines in and what not would work considering youll be that much lower than normal. also, idk where your depth finder is mounted or what your TM set up is but what im getting at is, anything you use or are used to being next to in the front of the boat would also have to be moved back as well. Maybe its just me being OCD about where i like my stuff. just some thoughts, not trying to rain on your parade...
    No rain, I appreciate the help. It worked out though.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The best way that I found was to do a virtual trip and move the bases from place to place until you find out where it works best for you. I had mine ready to be screwed down and climbed up in the boat and was soooo glad I did. Where they looked good from outside the boat wasn't anything close to where they wound up. Having a beer in your hand while you're "fishing" in the driveway helps the neighbors understand what's going on. They'll just figure you're going through withdrawls and a driveway fix was better than nuttin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    The best way that I found was to do a virtual trip and move the bases from place to place until you find out where it works best for you. I had mine ready to be screwed down and climbed up in the boat and was soooo glad I did. Where they looked good from outside the boat wasn't anything close to where they wound up. Having a beer in your hand while you're "fishing" in the driveway helps the neighbors understand what's going on. They'll just figure you're going through withdrawls and a driveway fix was better than nuttin.
    right you are sir! I knew Id be ok cause I wasnt mounting actual seat bases. We were sitting on the swivel chair dove buckets we hunt off of from our duck boats, so they could move if needed. My neighbors think Im nuts too! LOL